Request of new features

Dorico 3 is great but I miss a few things:

• I miss the possibility to control the distance between lines in the text. I would like to produce educational books. Usually, I prefer to increase the distance between lines with a percentage to make the main text easier to read.

• Possibility to make numbered and bulleted lists. Also, a feature needed for preparing the books directly in Dorico.

• Allowing to add parentheses around a single fingering (I would not be surprised if it is implemented, but then I can’t find out how to).

• Possibility to use different fonts for right- and left-hand fingerings. This is really frustrating to have a very fine UI, but not being able to use it because the house style uses two different fonts for right and left hand.

• Not as important as the above, but it would be great to be able to add extension lines to fingerings too.

• It could be great to be able to define and add user configurated extension lines for the “playing techniques” - but I guess it is already planned.

When being able to use the User Interface on the preferred house styles, Dorico is wonderful to work with.

You can change the distance between lines in text by editing the paragraph style you’re using in Engrave > Paragraph Styles.

Fingerings can only be parenthesised if they’re editorial or cautionary.

We do intend to make it possible to change the font independently for left- and right-hand fingering in a future update.

Dorico already supports extender lines for fingerings.

Thank you for your answer. I will have to dig deeper then :slight_smile:

I’ve run into a problem trying to add cautionary fingering in violin part; i.e. put the fingering in parentheses.
Following the manual, I go to Engrave mode and select the note in question.
Yet, when I click ‘Cautionary’ switch, it flashes for a split of a second and immediately goes away.
Searching for the solution, I found the following restriction/condition:

@Daniel

Fingerings can only be parenthesised if they’re editorial or cautionary.

Daniel, could you clarify, what do you mean by editorial.
I was always under the impression that whenever I put/add fingering in/to the music, it is editorial by definition.
There might be various reasons (other than tied notes) for cautionary fingerings in violin music.

As an interim solution, I used old workaround - parentheses as a text.
Yet, still wonder: am I missing something, or indeed I can’t (at least currently) add parentheses to fingering at my (i.e. author/editor) discretion?

Thanks,
Igor Borodin

Try inputting the fingering into the popover as e.g. [4] rather than 4, as per the manual.

Thank you, Leo!

Apparently, I was blindfolded by the point that the fingering in question is purely cautionary (i.e. confirming the current position rather than indicating a change in position).
Hence, I didn’t bother to look at manual’s main section related to fingering.

Still, the term editorial isn’t clear to me - editorial fingering as opposed to what other kind of fingering?
But that’s just me.

Thanks once again,
IB

If the composer wrote the fingering, it’s not editorial. For example Beethoven wrote a few fingering marks to piano parts to show how he wanted them to be played, but most of the fingering in editions of his music was added by editors.

@Rob Tuley
Thanks for the reply and willingness to answer my question, but I’m afraid, I didn’t clearly articulate my confusion.
The reply to OP from Daniel (at least as I read it) was about working in Dorico; i.e. about the rules/conditions of accomplishing certain tasks - in this case, enclosing the fingering in parentheses.
And in such a context the phrase “Fingerings can only be parenthesised if they’re editorial or cautionary” suggests that there is some technical requirement for fingering to be editorial or cautionary in order to be enclosed in parentheses.
That’s what still puzzles me.

But, apparently, it’s just me :slight_smile: So, forget it :slight_smile:

Thanks,
IB