Resale of licences question

I hope this has been placed into the correct forum and hasn’t been asked to death elsewhere!

At present, I’m about to do an upgrade to the full version of Cubase 7.5 from my Cubase Artist 7 installation.

As I have upgraded some other products too, please let me know how I can (or IF I can) reactivate the licence keys to allow me to either sell on the product or pass it to a friend.

The outdated products are as follows:-

Halion Sonic (boxed) - I have purchased Halion 5 (boxed)to replace this software. Will Halion 5 function without Halion Sonic if I have the key reactivated?

Cubase Elements 6 (boxed) + Cubase Artist 6 upgrade (boxed) + Cubase Artist 6.5 upgrade (Download) + Cubase Artist 7 upgrade (Download) - I wish to remove all of these items in favour of the Cubase 7.5 mentioned earlier. Does each of these products carry it’s own key or are they all rolled up into 1 licence key (as suggested by the eLicencer) - Can any part of this, or all parts be reactivated?

Thank you in advance for any help :smiley:

Scott

I can only suggest you check the Steinberg knowledge base for all the required info.

Normally when you ‘upgrade’ a product and get an ‘upgrade’ price, you are not allowed to re-sell the old software.

Good luck.

Your licence will be upgraded…you can not use the old activation codes again.

Thanks for the help :smiley:

Is it fair to assume that I reactivate the upgraded licence?

Is it fair to assume that I reactivate the upgraded licence?

I don’t know what you mean by this…are you asking how you run the upgrade?

Sorry, I’ll rephrase my vague response.

How would I go about installing Cubase Artist 7 on another machine? Do I apply my downloaded Cubase Artist 7 update to the Cubase Artist 6 application (installed from a disk)?

I still don’t get it…you say you’ve bought Full version 7.5 upgrade…so why are you wanting to install a lesser version on another machine??

I’m afraid you seem to have misunderstood how the Steinberg licenses work. They are in no way connected to your discs or when and where you install them. You are free to install any version on a million computers is you wish.

You license is contained on your dongle, which you only can use on one computer at a time. You can try to sell your old disc if you wish, but expect the buyer to come looking for you with a grim face unless you include the dongle (in which case you won’t be able to use it yourself).

Also, despite that the eLicencer Control Center) is stating that the license is valid for a particular version, it is valid for any previous version aswell. if the LCC says you have a license for version 7, you actually have a license for any version from Cubase SX 1 → Cubase 7.

The same goes for any eLicencer protected software.

Not exactly …

“If the software is protected by the eLicenser alone, you may install a license for the software on one or at most 3 computers which are in your possession. The software may be used only on one of the computers at the same time by using the USB-eLicenser.”

I’m sure that most people understood that I exaggerated to bring home a point. However, if you enjoy nit-picking, I can do it to.

This is actually a very strangely worded paragraph. It says “you may install a license for the software on one or at most 3 computers”. The license is not installed on the computer at all, but on the eLicencer dongle! Only in the case of the Soft eLicenser (used by Cubase Elements & WaveLab Elements) would this wording have any relevance. Note that is refers to a license for the software, not to the actual software!

I can only assume that the lawyer who worded this paragraph had insufficient knowledge of how the eLicencer works.

You are correct!