Resampling - Render TAB

I’ve always had the doubt of what happens when I have Resampling turned OFF in the Master Section with a dithering plug in turned ON and I use the Render Tab and select a different sample rate than the current file.
The file exports correctly at the selected sample rate in the Render tab.

Does the Resampling slot in the Master Section turn on automatically and before the Dither slot and at the highest quality?

When you do so, a resampling stage [A] happens at the latest stage, just before writing the file. Hence, after the Master Section output. Therefore it is better to activate the Master Section resampler, before the dithering slot (in which case [A] is unused).

Thanks Philippe. Will keep this in mind.

Hi PG, I went through the manual on Batch Processing and didn’t find any info regarding Resampling.
From your previous post regarding the Montage it is very clear how and where to put the resampler and the final dither.

It is not clear to me where to put the dither in the Batch Processor chain and there’s an option to load a Master Section preset… Does this Master Sec preset load with the resampler?

I’m trying to automate say a HiRes processed Master @ 96k-32bit and want to derive 44.1-16 bit and other formats. Normally I would like my chain to be: 96kFile → Resample to 44.1khz → Add 16 bit dither (eg Izotope) → Rename file
Some might include a peak limiter but I leave enough headroom to not use it

Will appreciate any help.
Best Regards

I’ve found that the best thing to do is avoid the Resampler and master section, which allows you to keep all plugins safely saved inside the montage itself, instead of dealing with saving and loading separate master section settings.

You can do your main montage assemble and PQ coding etc at 96k, render that to lock in and print the processing, SRC with your SRC of choice (RX, Saracon, or even WaveLab Batch Processor) but keep the audio floating point so no need to worry about dither. Then you can manage the dither as a montage output FX in the resulting downstream montages when rendering your 24-bit/96k WAV, 24/44.1k, 16-bit/44.1k, DDP, or reference mp3s.

Thanks Justin. I watched your livestream WL video and I think it’s great all that you’re doing to optimize your workflow. I’ve been trying to adapt some of your ideas to my workflow. One thing I don’t think is for me (maybe I didn’t understand correctly) is when you render the whole montage in a single file.
What do you do about recalls?. My own workflow has been to render individual tracks and name acordingly V1,V2 etc… and just replace the individual file in the main or master montage, that way the markers and cd-text don’t change
I always keep all versions at least till the album is up on the platforms… You know clients…“You know what?..forget version 5…lest keep version 1” :neutral_face:

For recalls, I just open the montage and save it as V2, make the changes, and re-render. So if my first initial montage is called this:
Artist Name - Release Title 6496 DIGITAL MASTER V1_

If a change is needed, I simply Save As… and change it to:
Artist Name - Release Title 6496 DIGITAL MASTER V2_

Even if just one song needs a change, I make a full new montage because montage files are very small, and I find doing that to be simpler and safer than trying to Frankenstein things together if you are trying to just render a new version of the changed song.

With this workflow, if a client says they actually preferred version 1 instead of version 2, it’s very easy to open version 1 montage and copy the settings back to what becomes version 3 for example.

So, this method does perhaps involve re-rendering songs that didn’t change but in my opinion it’s much simpler and safer to always render a full new montage. I can usually take care of an email or other task while it renders and I guess lucky for me, it’s rare to go past version 2 or 3. On busy days I may have one master rendering on my B computer (or vise versa) using Team Viewer and Dropbox while I keep working on the main machine if a render is a long/slow one but since a majority of my projects are captures from analog, rendering times don’t take too long because it’s normally just the digital limiter and maybe a few post-capture clip plugins for small tweaks to certain songs.

Thanks for sharing. The great thing about doing it this way is once all fx are rendered you are safe to open it in the future when newer OSes or Plugins are no longer compatible.
Well, there’s a lot to explore. Good ideas

No problem. While at first it might seem silly to re-render the entire EP or album just for a change to one song, trying to do it any other way and cobble things together can turn into a complicated mess downstream.

I usually delete the actual WAV files for full renders that become obsolete due to changes but I hang on to the .mon files so I can still open them, which references the source audio files no problem, and then I can both listen to and view any settings if I need to revert back to them and apply them to the latest montage version.

I really don’t see any downsides to this method.