Resetting Default VST Install Path

Hi Folks,

I did this some time ago, but I have forgotten the specifics. Every time I try to install a plugin, the path defaults to:

D:\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins\Guitar Sims\Torpedo PI-101\

I have to manually change every time. How do I change it so it defaults to:

D:\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins\

I seem to recall having to edit a file?

Thanks in advance for any comments. :slight_smile:

How do you point Cubase to D:\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins, or how do you point an installer which you will access in the future to that location?

Hi Jeff,

I want to point all installers to D:\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins\

Somehow it was “hijacked” and all installers point to D:\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins\Guitar Sims\Torpedo PI-101\ by default.

Does that make sense?

Hi.

I don’t think you can do this, without potentially having issues. Some people have done this:

Open the registry Start > Run > Regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Open “ProgramFilesDir” from the list in the right pane, and change what is normally C:\Program Files to whatever it is you want (you probably have D:\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VSTPlugins\Guitar Sims…). You can then do the same for "ProgramFilesDir (x86).

However, there is a potential problem in doing this. Read:

Cheers.

Hello, :slight_smile:
It is not advisable to install your 3rd party plugins in the subdirectory of Cubase or any other program.
Instead you should have a own dedicated folder for that " C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins". In fact do not change anything in the Cubase folder.
There is also a Knowledge Base Article on the subject here:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/where-are-the-vst2-plug-ins-stored-on-windows/

When you install a Plugin the installer checks the vst plugin directory in you registry. This entry is set by what you enter for the first VST Plugin you install. After this this path will always be pre entered when you install another VST Plugin. To change this registry entry you must open regedit in windows.

• Push the keys windows + r to open the run dialog and type regedit.
  • The Registry Editor will open
  • Backup the registry (file, Export…, export range = all)
  • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • Expand SOFTWARE
  • Find and click on VST
  • You will see two entries one says default – (value not set) and the other might for example say VSTPluginsPath – C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VstPlugins double click on this one.
  • Modify the data to the desired folder address (" C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins".)
  • Exit

:slight_smile:
Greetings,
JHP

Thanks!