Resource for learning cubase 4 and le4

Hello Fellow Cubaser, :smiley:
I have been reviewing the comments and request for help on the forum. I see that many of you guys are having a lot of problems with the learning curve. It is not your falt! The Steinberg conglameration has gotten so huge that they have lost the beginers. I had the same problems that all of you have. I tried all the videos and web help sites with some success. I finally hit on a book “The Idiots guide to Cubase 4”. It is an easy to understand comprehensive guide to using cubase 4. I found it on amazon for $15. I highly reccomend it.

Good luck!

Joe: Is there something ( tips ) in “The Idiots guide to Cubase 4” that you can pass on to the rest of us that is not covered in these videos Cubase 4 guide for beginners - YouTube and Cubase’s own video Tutorials? :question:

I’ve been recording since 1975 and have been aware of the difference between a true beginner and a person who has been recording for a long time but PC Recording especially with Cubase is a NEW WORLD to them.

In my opinion Cubase is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Analog Recording.

Jack :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PS:

Tip from Me Record your tracks 48k 24 bit
then Mix at 44.1 16 bit

I’ve had quite a few friends lately say
everything sounds better even with an .mp3
what did you do? :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

[quote][/quote]

Hello Halljack,

The book probably does not have anything extra, but it takes each individual step and breaks it down. It covers all features and capabilities to include equipment setup through the final mastering, and It is all in one comprehensive place. It has tips strewn throughout. It 's written by Michael Miller contains 250 pages.

I have a question of my own. I am a performer but I know nothing about midi recording. I have downloaded a lot of vst. instruments but how do I play them to see how realistic they sound? Do I have to upgrade my sound card? I used a Zoom 1600HD to pre-record my tracks. I also use Voice Live 2 by TC Helicon. The recorder is connected to my laptop via USB. I do not have a midi capable keyboard. Is it absolutley necessary to connect one?

Joe: I would say yes,you need a midi keyboard.
I own a 1988 Roland D-50 keyboard and a Roland U-220 Brain.
I use the D-50 alot to program my Drums (Toontracks Superior drummer 2.0. )
I notice alot of Keyboards these days have USB ports.

If you can open your VST’S up, Select an instrument and try drawing in some sounds
into the Key Ediitor with “THE DRAW TOOL” to hear what they sound like.
I use the Key Editor and the Drum Editor after recording but before Mixing alot.

As for your other other question, is this book "The Idiots guide to Cubase 4 " easier
to understand then the Cubase Le4 Manual in your opinion?
And Should Cubase take note? :question:

Jack :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote][/quote] :smiley: Absolutely! It is far better at explaining cubase. I believe that anyone would benefit from it’s use. :smiley:

I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary, but it can make life easier. I personally don’t use one because I’m crap at keyboard playing.

In addition to Jack’s suggestion below, you can always import an existing Midi file (you can find heaps of them on the net) into Cubase, set up an instrument track, assign the instrument track out to the VSTi of choice, then drag the imported MIDI onto the instrument track.

And about manuals- while I agree that resources such as Idiots Guide and this forum can be very helpful in getting information, in the end the manual has the most detailed information, and presents it in a less ambiguous way than the alternatives, particularly for more advanced functions.

I personally have no issue with suggesting that a poster should check the manual, in fact I do it often and will continue to do so. If you want to get the most out of Cubase, you will get far more by exploring for yourself than what you’ll get in here.

Kind Regards