Respell bug?

First, my apologies if this issue has been raised before. I have searched the forum, but couldn’t see it.

The issue I am having is that there seem to be situations where respelling a note does not add an accidental to a subsequent note when it should do. The attached file demonstrates the problem. To see what I mean, select the F# in the upper voice, and press Alt+=. As expected, the F# changes to a Gb, but the adjacent G does not gain a natural sign, nor does the subsequent F# gain an accidental.

A few comments:

• I am using Dorico 1.0.10.4054
  • Note that the G natural remains correct when playing back - it is just notated incorrectly
  • The music in this file was derived from a MusicXML file exported by Sibelius. When I enter the same sequence of notes directly, I don’t get the same problem. This suggests to me it’s a problem with MusicXML import.

Thanks for all your hard work on Dorico! :slight_smile:
Respell Bug.dorico.zip (325 KB)

Try doing Ctrl+A to select all, then Edit > Reset Appearance, which will remove all of the various properties that Dorico sets when importing MusicXML to hardwire the appearance of accidentals such that they remain as close as possible to the way the music looked in the originating program, and then you should find everything starts to work more sensibly.

Thanks, by the way, for an eminently clear and minimal report that took me only a few moments to work through. I really appreciate it!

Ah ha! Yes, that makes sense, although it’s not very obvious when you first encounter it. I guess that when/if Dorico has a fully comprehensive reference manual that will be where I would have found that information. (Of course I understand this is likely to be some way off!)

Glad you found the report clear - I have been on the other side of the process in the past so know what it’s like… :wink:

“Try doing Ctrl+A to select all, then Edit > Reset Appearance, which will remove all of the various properties that Dorico sets when importing MusicXML to hardwire the appearance of accidentals such that they remain as close as possible to the way the music looked in the originating program, and then you should find everything starts to work more sensibly.”

Is this something one should do at each import, maybe?

It certainly wouldn’t hurt.

I find that after an import, it is preferable to reset appearance, position, stem directions and beaming. Sometimes, selecting all, shifting and octave up and then back done can also take care of some slurs that are still not set to default after all of those commands.

Nice workaround routine until everything gets handled by the amazing Dorico team !