Responsiveness degradation

After editing either Paragraph Styles or Character Styles, Dorico’s responsiveness degrades to the point that I cannot work. Simply selecting any item takes around 10 seconds—it is usually very snappy, almost instantaneous.

However, if I close the project and reopen it straight away «or» close and reopen Dorico, everything goes back to normal again.

Has anyone seen this behavior?
–π

In a large project I would expect there to be some temporary degradation in performance because Dorico has to go through the whole project and update all of the text items, but I would expect performance to return to normal more or less right away, which it doesn’t. We’ll look into this – thanks for reporting it.

We have been able to fix this problem today, so the fix will find its way into the next minor update.

Yaaaayyyy!! :slight_smile: Thank you sir!

I searched the forum for the term responsiveness and found this, maybe same thing, maybe it’s a different problem because is has no obvious connection to “editing either Paragraph Styles or Character Style” …
I only opend a project (quite large, 19 flows, > 20 players) after the update to 2.1 and hardly can’t work with Dorico, and at least the fun is gone. There is a lag of about a second between any keypress or mouseclick an the response. Sigh. With 2.0 it responsiveness on the same project file was, well, acceptable to good.

Is this also already solved and will be part of the next minor update?

(And with 2.1 the cursor keeps jumping around (press the right key on the last note of a bar, and you may find the cursor somewhere in another system), up-down on chord notes still skip over noteheads (that “filter” btw. correctly identifies in their given order), and don’t let me start with the crazy tuplet topic again. But I unterstand that there are billions of users urgentily waiting for the note head editor feature, so no time to take care of such insignificant basic things, that hamper a fluent work progress and get on your nerves. I could not understand the AVID product development strategie for years, if there was such thing, but I fear I can’t understand the Steinberg strategie neither, if there is such thing. Pardon my consternation.)

Great to hear, I experience the same slow reactions in my project.

Andre, look at the date on Daniel’s post. tagaluche added to a thread that’s a year old.

Ah yes, I see it now. Unfortunately I do have very slow responses in my project since the update. It’s an orchestral piece, 105 pages. I am in the editing phase now so this isn’t a big problem. It would be worse if I still had to add the notes.

There is a performance degradation in my longest scores at the moment also. Worst is a chamber orchestra + choir one which includes over 50 flows and a score totalling 189 pages (most of them with two systems a page). That score was slow in version 1.0.1 but became quite smooth around 1.3 or so. Now it’s back to crawling. I have other scores that are quite large, but more normal - let’s say 70 pages for full orchestra and four flows - and those perform quite well.

In most of those long scores, the system track is unusable because it slows things down even more. Fortunately, it’s not a feature I use much.

Responsiveness degradation after update to v.2.1 confirmed here! Same Project without no edits is slower in response from my midi keyboard after the update than what it was in v.2.0. It loads ok, but note input, caret movement etc is slow.

Just chiming in here as it seems the appropriate place to talk about general program performance right now. When I work in Dorico on my desktop (and on the laptop actually as I use a mouse there too) I tend to use a combination of mouse and modifier keys to move around the score, e.g. shift+wheel to move left/right and ctrl+ wheel to zoom in/out (Windows 10 FYI). The only thing I’ve really noted here since the update is that the zoom in/out seems to be a little more sluggish than before, not cripplingly bad but certainly noticeable to me… however I can live with it for now. :slight_smile:

We will need some more data from you in order to look into these problems. Please open the troublesome project and input a few notes at the place where you find it to be particularly slow (note that due to the complex performance characteristics of the software, note input speed may not be constant at different points in the same project, large or small) while taking a screen recording of your whole display so we can see exactly what you see, then do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and send the scores, the diagnostic zip files, and the screen recordings to me via e.g. WeTransfer. If you are on Mac, it is also useful for you to include a .spx system profile report, which you can generate via the About This Mac menu item in the system Apple menu. My email address is d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.

Ok but can you please recommend me a (free) screenrecording software for Windows (20) that records not only mouse but also key actions?

taguluche, can you please add your OS to your signature? Helpful to know for these sorts of questions.

On Windows, I’ve used QiPress with great results.