Restoring records

Actually, the uproar was more about the incredible lack of quality that the WL7 manual suffered, especially with the program having been so radically redesigned from version 6. The WL7 manual was merely a collection of short notes that were also in the program (“The CD-text button opens the CD-text Dialog”; useless stuff like that).

In my, and others’ opinion, this was set straight with the WL8 manual, which actually does explain a lot about the program’s functions and how they operate - like we were used to in versions 6 and previous. But, Wavelab is a complex program that caters for very different audio fields. I’d recommend reading at least the Wavelab Concepts and Program Overview parts, and the introductions to the Master Section and Audio Montage.

Just a couple of points, sort of repeated :

The manual is no more that a list of commands and what they do. It doesn’t tell you how to do things. Or why to do things. No examples either.

Post processing as advised does work OK. I can listen to a bit of a record and select the nearest preset. However then I have to listen to the whole records as it is, click, pops, noise and all; as it is being recorded. How great it would be if it could be recorded using the preset, then I could listen in noise free comfort whist doing other things.

Yes I know I should upgrade, at quite a big cost, just for this one feature…

Again, many thank for the help here.

Dave

We either disagree, have read different parts of the manual, or the WL Elements manual is quite diffreent from the full WL manual…

BTW, PG (the Wavelab developer and master mind) suggested the plugin ‘External Gear’ earlier in this topic. Might be worth looking at.

But I’m not using any external gear ??? ( on this system, at this location )

Dave

But I’m not using any external gear ??? ( on this system, at this location )

Hmm, you say since the start that you are using a pair of Cedar racks. That is what we call “External Gear”.
This being said, this plugin is in WaveLab, not WaveLab Elements.

No I didn’t. That was in my third post; by way of example.

Still disappointed there is no solution.

Dave

Well, strictly there are two solutions: (1) to do the work in the manner that the software will handle, and (2) to upgrade to the version of the software that can be used the way you wish.

I would say that your main complaint is that you were not able to determine from the pre-sales information that WaveLab Elements wouldn’t do what you wanted.

Paul

Yes and no ? To have to pay so much more, for just one feature is disappointing.

Dave

OK, I can live with this now, I think ! but… However several friends and customers have followed this and expressed interest. Other restoration software isn’t actually as good. My guys, unlike some mentioned here, have large collections and want something easy and fast, and the Sonnox plugins do the job well.

On December the 6 we applied for a retail account with Steinberg and have heard nothing at all. Even a direct email to Peter Peck who is senior sales manager at Steinberg produced no reply at all. I have at least a couple of printed newsstand HiFi magazine reviews every year, this would have been good to expose audiophiles to the world of DAW…

Unless something changes in the next day or so, I’m going to close the project.

Dave