Restrict MIDI Control to Parameter Range?

Hey,

I’ve set up my MIDI controller as a Generic Remote device in Cubase. I’d like to restrict the parameter range that a hardware knob controls, so that MIDI CC values 0-127 correspond to, for example, -6 dB to +6 dB for an EQ gain parameter. I need to have more fine-grained control over certain things.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do that. (I really wish that the Generic Remote had its own Input Transformer, for this very purpose).
You could either transform the incoming MIDI externally (before it reaches Cubase), provided you have the necessary software of course :wink:, or, by using a MIDI loop-back, use a (record/monitor enabled) MIDI track with the Input Transformer on it, its output routed to the loop-back send, and then use the loop-back return as the input to your Generic Remote.

There should be a simple effective option.

Right click a knob, midilearn, twirl knob, done. Also a right click “midi learn menu” where individual assignment parameters could be dialed in…

:wink:

Even a MIDI data transformer would be less than ideal, because if you scaled CC 0-127 to something like 0-10, you would only have eleven huge, coarse steps to work with, instead of 128 fine steps.

Agreed.