Retrospective MIDI Record Greyed Out

Hey y’all, so I just laid down a long MIDI track without apparently pressing the Record button. I go to Transport, but Retrospective MIDI Record is greyed out…it’s checked in my preferences, and I have a rather large buffer set for it, so what’s the deal?

Hi,

If you want to use the Retrospective Record, you have to have a MIDI or an Instrument track in the project. The Record Enable button has to be enabled first. Only in this case is the MIDI data passing thru to Cubase, and you can catch them afterwards by using Retrospective record.

To clarify you don’t need to have a Track Write Enabled while you are playing (but you can). However in order for the Retrospectively recorded data to get inserted onto the Track then you need to have a Track Record Enabled - which tells Cubase which Track to put the data on.

Hi,

But if none of the track is Record Enabled, then you don’t get any data to the Retrospective Recorder. Or am I wrong?

No, you do. I just did that a few days ago. I think it must always be saving a buffer of whatever MIDI is coming in. I’ll play around with it a bit when I’m at Cubase.

Ha, Raino, you’re right. Only for printing the midi to the track is a record-enabled midi track needed. Just tried it with no tracks in the project at all. Kind of cool, and seriously on point for the feature.

Still greyed out (the Introspective Record Icon in the Transport tray) in 12.0.50 with track armed and record enabled.

It does work in the track panel though.

So many bugs in Cubase.

I actually don’t know how to enable or disable it,it’s just on in my track panel.

There is no setting I have found to set it but this is Cubase after all,let’s make the simplest things a mind fart.

It works for me.

Here is my setting in the Preferences:
grafik

Anytime I play my external MIDI keyboard RetroRec becomes active.

It works fine for me too, the Retrospective Record button in the Toolbar is supposed to stay active all the time because it works differently than the dedicated field in the Track Inspector.

This global button records all incoming MIDI activity from all MIDI inputs, and its buffer does not clear out after 30 seconds. Instead it will only clear out after pasting the data on a track and when new data is inputted subsequently.

In the Track Inspector however, it just records the MIDI input of the track, and it can only be pasted on that same track.

Have you tried starting Cubase with clean preferences ?