Retrospective Record is Broken Now

I’m not sure if this was deliberate or not, but someone changed the functionality of Retrospective Record in a very bad way.

Now, in C9.5 on my Win7 system, when I implement RR, the recorded midi cuts off at the right locator. So if the right locator is set at 30 seconds in the timeline, and the cursor is set at 0, and I sit around playing for 5 minutes, when I implement RR, it will only have captured 30 seconds of my playing.

Before, in previous versions (Confirmed 8.5), RR ignored the left and right locators and would allow you to recover 10 hours of playing retrospectively. That’s the way it should be.

Please understand, for composers, the RR is one of the coolest features of Cubase. Rarely is one recording when a cool idea strikes. And RR allows to bring back said cool idea retrospectively.

Please fix this immediately. This isn’t a bug you have to track down. This was someone’s mistake and should be quickly fixable.

Don’t know if we are the same exact version, but RR is working properly here. I tested by playing with playback running and also stopped.

I would check this with initialized prefs, to rule out corrupt prefs, or maybe somehow the RR buffer got set to extremely small.

Thanks, Steve, for the quick response. I should have specified I am using C9.5.1.

So I’m not sure we’re on the same page here since you didn’t mention the Right Locator in your reply.

Just to confirm(And I reinitialized prefs and my buffer is set to 10,000 events) that we’re on the same page, the RR is now affected by the Right Locator. If I extend the Right Locator out to 5 hours, RR will capture 5 hours worth of midi data.

Another Big Clue is that if the playback cursor is located AFTER the Right Locator, then it will capture normally, forever, or up to 10,000 events.

It seems clear that the Right Locator is affecting RR the same way it affects auto punch. It punches out.

I hope that this is my system, but I sincerely doubt it.

The way to test what I’m seeing is to set the Left Locator at 0 and the right locator at 5 seconds. Then, making sure the playback cursor is at zero, just noodling around for about 10 seconds and then activate RR.

You should see that the newly formed midi part ends at the precise location of the Right Locator (5 seconds).

If you repeat the test, this time with the playback cursor set after the Right Locator, say, at 15 seconds, and play something for 20 minutes, you should see the resultant midi part last until you activated RR. In other word, normal and not truncated.

Thanks for the help.

That’s exactly what I did. Maybe someone else will be able to reproduce the problem.

Great. This gives me much relief. I’m now wondering what setting may be causing this. And, if you wouldn’t mind, are there any other files to reinitialize other than the userpreferences.xml file.

Thanks again for your assistance.

You’re welcome.

I would rename the whole prefs folder temporarily. As far as I know, there’s no pref that would do that- but who knows, Cubase is famously labyrinthine.

Quit Cubase
Rename this folder: %appdata%\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5_64

When Cubase launches the next time it will create an initialized set of prefs.

If you do a search for troubleshoot cubase and cubase safe start the top results will be the knowledgebase articles on the topics.

I had the same issue a while ago. Deleting my preferences fixed it.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but when you delete prefs as described, do you then have to go and rebuild all your preferences? That would be very time consuming!

You can save various prefs and key commands as presets.