Return to initiating note after using popover -- Help!

After I have entered a string of notes into a part, I then arrow-key navigate through that passage, adding articulations, slurs, dynamics, expression, etc. I would prefer to work this step with as few mouse clicks as possible, but as many keyboard shortcuts as possible.

Certain popovers (ornaments, playing techniques, tempo to name a few), after you have created the symbol, the newly created symbol is now the selected object and the arrow keys don’t function in the same way. Usually I can left arrow, but only back to the previous marking of the same type.

Is there a way to go back to the note from which you initiated the popover without a mouse-click? I enter a lot of baroque music, and doing a set of ornament markings is tedious if you can’t do it on the fly (keyboard alone).

Tab switches navigation between different types of object, though there are limitations, for instance gradual dynamics and piano pedal lines.

Thanks @pianoleo. That’s not one I had known about, and it allows me to move out of an ornament back to the note. I’ve found with some of the others that Shift-Arrow will let me move, but it will then select the note AND the marking I just added, but an additional arrow press returns to the note only.

Yes, I too had stumbled upon Shift-Arrow in this situation (needed for just this reason). As you say, sometimes it selects too much, and I end up needing more arrow-ing, but it’s still better than having to reach for the mouse. I’ll start to try Tab in this situation too.

(And by the way, welcome to the forums, @Christopher_Bagan!)

Thanks @Rinaldo! Very happy new-ish Dorico user here. I use all three (Finale, Sibelius, Dorico) regularly depending on who commissions work, but for my own projects and where I have the choice, it’s basically always Dorico now.

2 Likes

I too use all three, @Christopher_Bagan. I started with Finale 20+ years ago for some score-editing projects (that are still not concluded!), I needed to be fluent in Sibelius for the orchestration classes I taught (as that’s what most of my students used), and now that I’m retired from teaching I’m a devotee of Dorico.