Returning Dorico-- This Thing Is Terrible

I was really excited for this software, but good lord some MAJOR issues here.

Most importantly the MIDI import function is horrendous. I understand that it’s complicated, that it’s trying to decipher ticks, but you can’t use this argument when you compare how easily Sibelius imports MIDI with the dumpster fire that is Dorico.

Here’s a sextuplet imported into Sibelius (yes this is a score I already started formatting, but aside from the instrument name, this is exactly how it was imported).

Here’s Dorico with the same file

I mean let’s ignore the fact that it’s importing on a grand staff by default, trying to force it into a tuplet didn’t even work. I’m sure there’s a learning curve here, but I remember the first time I used Sibelius, I got it going in about an hour. I sat with Dorico for 3 hours trying to get this one file even close to how Sibelius did. And to top it all off, the thing froze and crashed about a dozen times.

Paul, I’m sure it’s frustrating that part of that perfect Sibelius import is your code (as I understand you were heavily involved in Sibelius before Avid took over and I think I read on the forum that you specifically helped write the MIDI import code), but this is such a major oversight of functionality.

I’m trying not to be too harsh but really how are you comfortable taking people’s money for this? Moving mock-ups from DAW to notation software has to be one of the most essential features out there for a large part of the notation software market.