How MIDI Reverse, Mirror and Logical Editor Invert Notes work in the MIDI editors

I would like to select a range of MIDI notes and reverse them in time so they would play in reverse order, or to invert them vertically to invert the melody. Is there an easy way to do these things in the Cubase Key Editor? Thanks! – Cal

Ah, I found my old notes about how to do this, here they are if anyone is interested:

To reverse the playback of a melody in time, preserving the note lengths in reverse:

Select what to reverse:

• Select the group of notes in the Key Editor.
  • Or select an event in the timeline, such as a piano part

Use: MIDI > Functions > Mirror (this is what you’d usually use)

Alternately, to reverse the playback of a melody in time, but not the note lengths (the off points):

Select what to reverse:

• Select the group of notes in the Key Editor.
  • Or, select an event in the timeline, such as a piano part

Use: MIDI > Functions > Reverse

To invert a melody (make highest notes lowest and lowest notes highest), use the Logical Editor.

Select the group of notes to invert in the Key Editor

Use: MIDI > Logical Editor

In the upper Filter
Type Is | Equal | Note

In the second row of the logical editor, it should read:

• Value 1 | Mirror | note number for the axis (or center)
    (This can be the vertical center of your
    original melody, or it can be above or below all the notes, or anywhere you wish.)
  • Function: Transform

Hit “Apply” at the bottom right.

After inverting, if necessary you can raise or lower the pitch of the inverted melody.

(In the old days of Opcode this was much simpler… select notes and hit one button.)

6 Likes

@opticus Excellent post. Thanks!

I have edited it so the formatting works in the new forum software.

Great Steve, glad it was useful, thanks!
Happy composing.

I have been using the Invert process as a macro and have been using it often. Thank you so much for posting this!