Rhythm dot consolidation is not working as expected

Activating the Rhythm dot consolidation in the Properties is not working here. What might be the reason?

grafik

You’d need to explain your Engraving Options, I think. Uploading a project would be better.

What do you expect Dorico to do here, Juerg? Do you want Dorico to move the lower of the two dots rightwards to align with the dot that is avoiding the flag, or something else?

Either way would be fine. If the dot happens to collide with the flag I could move the flag upwards a little.

The rhythm dot consolidation option (or property) doesn’t apply in this situation, I’m afraid, since Dorico is able to display both of the rhythm dots anyway. The consolidation option applies in situations where showing all the rhythm dots would cause a large amount of horizontal space to be added. In this case, because the notes are a third apart, the option has no effect.

I’ve often thought that it would be helpful to have a similar property for the Rhythm dots for notes on flags engraving option, so you could override that choice on a case-by-case basis, but we don’t have that capability at the moment.

You might find the Lengthen stem option in Engraving Options an acceptable compromise for this project.

Thanks for the explanation, Daniel. It really is just a small thing. The Lengthen stem option does the job.

Aufnahme5

I have the Engraving Option set to not consolidate rhythm dots on unisons, but assumed that the Properties Panel option would override that. But it doesn’t seem to:

Does the same explanation (above by Daniel) hold?

The behaviour of rhythm dots on unison notes in opposing voices isn’t handled by the Rhythm dot consolidation option and property, but rather by the Rhythm dots on unisons in opposing voices option which you’ll find alongside it; however, there’s no property to override this engraving option.

1 Like

Thank you @dspreadbury for taking the time to clear that up for me. So the unison options are not considered “consolidations”. I was confused because the two sets of options are adjacent to each other in the Engraving options. A property to override is probably overkill.