Ribbons, and not the ones you wear.

Yeah, he’s causing an intermittent connection, dinny wobble your leads :laughing:

/

They have a song for that. :smiling_imp:

:laughing:

LOL

That video is fascinating. I will NOT be doing that!

After many bean burritos too. :smiley:

Thanks for that video Shinta. That’s why I buy expensive name-brand mic cables: so that won’t happen!
So I guess if your cable shorts, whether you’re using the ribbon or dynamic with phantom power, you’re pretty much screwed all the same.

Speaking of phantom power shorts:

Can a short like this harm a condenser?

@Bane: You’re welcome.

Unlikely.

Most ribbons are directly connected to a matching and balancing transformer where as a Condenser has an amplifier in the body, so intermittent phantom is like switching the amp on and off repeatedly, as the condenser diaphragm is not sitting in a magnetic field and the charge on the diaphragm doesn’t collapse immediately the diaphragm doesn’t wobble about like you see the ribbon element doing, not good but usually not catastrophic.

Thanks Split.

I read one article where the producer puts a ribbon between the kik front (beater side) and snare and uses it to bolster the sound, for that BIG em…kik/snare thing! probably with a lot of compression.

The reason scuba divers don’t eat white beans for breakfast … :laughing:

Well played. :sunglasses:

Check out this ugly MF :laughing:

That must be one of the crudest bits of DIY I’ve seen!!!.. But I still like it :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDCRAFTED-RIBBON-MICROPHONES-LOT-OF-2-SHOCKMOUNT-TRAVEL-CASE-INCLUDED-/251037752274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a73041bd2

I bought a Woodpecker awhile back, but I didn’t like it all, at least not compared to other ribbons. So I sold it. It was one of the new sorts that actually use phantom power.

If you think phantom power can’t hurt one of the older ribbons, you’re sadly misinformed

Yeah, I remember you selling it. I did consider, but from all I read, it didn’t have that stereotypical ribbon sound, so I didn’t bite.

Frankenribbon! I saw that earlier when I was checking around for ribbon mics. I love that one. Shame it is so expensive. If it was $100 bucks I might have considered at the very least to display it. :slight_smile:

All right,

So it arrived today and it is absolutely mint. So I plugged it in and I forgot I had phantom power enabled :frowning: smoke smoke smoke came ripping out the mic then flames. A complete melt down. :cry: :imp: Then I slapped myself in the face and realized I was just kidding.

Ok, for real now, I plugged it in and I set it up as a room mic in the big room since the kit was already setup from sessions. Setup a project and began to play drums, which by the way I suck at. I hated it. I really hated it. I thought it sounded harsh and terrible, like a special effect. I messed with it for a bit then realizes it was set to cardioid so I switched it to figure 8. Much much better. I tried it on acoustic (was too lazy to set up an amp and electric guitar) and was like “meh” then tried it on upright bass. On UB, it sounded good when I played arco but was pillowy and poofy on pizz… “meh” I was getting really let down. I kept playing and playing with placements and this thing really wants really odd positioning. I say odd because these are not positions I would do with many other microphones, but I don’t have a lot of experience with ribbons so maybe these are the standard positions for a ribbon with this character.

Positions it liked:

On acoustic, chest height, 2 1/2 - 3’ away angled down on a 45 toward the neck. I liked that sound a lot. Needed a little notch around 200 with a roll off under it. Roll off if with other instruments. Not boomy.

Drums was in front. I wound up pulling it left off center of the kick away from the snare at 4’ off the ground. Not my absolute favorite, but I suck on drums and a real drummer would probably sound a lot better.

Upright bass was about 10" above the bridge, 1.5-2’ in front pointing to the end pin (almost straight down) WOW. You have to hear this. So wonderful.

Voice was acceptable but not special. I have preferred Mylar condensers for years with my voice. But, females beware. This is going in front of your face during mic auditions.

So, the mic is a little bass-heavy, slow acting, has lots of character in its sound. I really like it after messing with it for a few hours. Not really sure how it is going to fit into the session. I know it will shine on guitars. Here is a little recording I did using it on UB, acoustic and room mic for the drums. You have to hear the bass. That is an acoustic upright. That blew me away once I found the position. For an album I would definitely use it on UB with an additional one with more detail to blend.

Everything was recorded clean-chained. There is a little processing done for some spatial and a little compression and eq for trimming the fat and packaging everything together. All compressors were sonnox as well as the eqs. Everything was processed light to leave the mic’s response exposed.

Oh, and lastly, there was no copy and paste in that recording. I played it all the way through! :laughing:

Cool, although I’m glad I didn’t go with a ribbon as my first good mic :wink:

Just the thing for taming some loud screaming electric guitars :sunglasses: