Riff learner/looper

Hi, I was wondering if someone had a way to slow down audio and loop sections of riffs.

Basically something like this

http://www.riffstation.com/

Even if I have to use a vst that is fine.

However, I am curious if anyone has a way to emulate this riff station in Cubase.

Aloha D,

Even if I have to use a vst that is fine.

If you are dealing with:

1-MIDI tracks (VSTi)
or
2-Instrument tracks (VSTi)

Just
1-Set your locators for the loop ‘start’ and ‘end’ points
2-bring down the tempo to taste
3-start play back

For audio tracks
I have never done it but I seem to remember reading
that it CAN be done using the ‘Tempo’ track.
Check the manual on that.

BTW
if I want to quickly learn something from a piece of audio,
(a line or riff or chord pattern etc)
I just dump it in to the ‘QuickTime’ app.

There you can easily adjust tempo and pitch separately.

HTH (Hope this helps)
{‘-’}

What curteye suggests works great. For long pieces I use Cubase for transcribing and learning stuff.

To do it with audio in Cubase would you also have to: set the audio file to musical mode in the pool.

Set the track it’s on to Musical timebase, also use a marker track that is set to musical timebase too because when you change the tempo it keeps the tracks synced, and the playhead will jump to another location so you can jump back to the marker.

Hope that makes sense…

You can slow things down quite a bit if that’s what you need to do, Cubase is very good for this.

(edit for clarity)

Now that is cool! wish I knew this before! Wow! Buy you a beer next time I’m in Chicago! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hm, easy to say from NZ. :laughing:

True. I mean it though. I have been trying to find a good solution for this for a long time, not realising it was in Cubase! Why do they hide the ‘audio mode’ checkbox in the Pool? :question:

It’s Musical Mode, not audio mode. (not to be confused with Musical Timebase)

I suppose the switch is in the pool because It’s a file attribute, not an event or part attribute. But that’s just what I think, someone else designed the program. :wink:

Cubase is a big program; not everything can be placed directly in front of you. Folks spend years, literally, learning about just one section.

Meditating on a VU meter. :smiley:

They could at least have mentioned it in the manual…

:laughing:

try not discuss about it too much… its a top secret !

I found a way. Double click the file, select a range that you want to learn, click the music mode function and play note you have to press play with the play button within the sample editor. This worked perfect.

Oh that’s right, there’s a button in the audio editor too. Nice find.

They could at least have mentioned it in the manual…

Cubase is just a big treasure hunt. I heard that Yamaha is negotiating with Fox for the rights to the reality TV show.

But back (almost) on topic, and seriously-

Maybe this will be helpful to folks who do similar work.

I do my transcribing in the project page, and if I’m wanting to cop a whole arrangement I go through it measure by measure with the warp grid tool and line the music up with the measures. Cubase has usually applied a reasonable tempo to the audio file, to get started, but if not I just estimate it and go from there. It was very time consuming at first, but as I did it more I got faster and faster. Learning the warp grid tool was kind of a mind bending experience.

The result is, while I write out the sheet music the playback cursor is always in sync with the notation, I can use the commands step forward and step back measures for precise navigation. I use the shuttle controls for half speed (and octave lower) playback.

For low muddy bass lines I transpose the audio pitch up an octave or two from the info line and it becomes clear and easy to hear.

It’s an industrial grade transcribing machine.

PS Musical mode is also available in the info line. :blush:

IMHO
This is a very informative thread.
tanx guys. I love learning stuff.
{‘-’}

Someone call me?

You’ll find some more info under “Musical mode” and “Adjusting loops to the project tempo using Musical Mode” in the manual (or just go to the index and find “musical mode”).