Ripple Edit - for Events and Ranges (voice overs, composing, film e.g.)

+1

Bump. When you use it in another DAW you will yearn for it dearly in Cubase. It is a significant time-saver and workflow enhancer. Composers and post production folk I know are often confounded that I canā€™t do this here.

Just make sure itā€™s not an unfinished feature, as sometimes happens here, and that you can ripple EVERYthing when rippling the whole project ā€“ ALL automation and data (including visually hidden automation and data) in ALL tracks, Groups, Instruments, and Sends. The amount of time this would save in huge scoring projects here would be monumental.

Everyone knows that ripple edit is facking funtastic, and an absolutely essential feature when recording and editing the spoken voice when it is not connected to the timing of musical events. I, for one, have always exported an audio file from Cubase and opened it up in Vegas to ripple edit, then export back to Cubase. Even with all the saving and re-importing, I still save time and effort and energy doing this, but it would be even better if Cubase could handle this rather simple function.

It is important to note, however, that in Vegas the ripple edit function is not the only time saver, but also the way it navigates and cuts during the ripple edit process. That is you can select and add your splice (cut) point on the fly while still listening on, and then delete with a single keystroke to eliminate the unwanted track between the two cuts, and keep going with great ease and rapid workflow. Steinberg should look at how Vegas does this before implementing ripple edit, because they obviously developed Cubase mainly for music (which aligns material to a time position, hence no need for ripple) but those who have developed software for video and other purposes have thought more about how people work in the environment of voiceovers and other non-musical material.

Ripple Edit would be a gigantic improvement for all music-only makers, too. I canā€™t tell you the hundreds of times per week Ripple Edit would save me huge amounts of time while writing, scoring, and producing music, totally apart from scoring to video (which I do a lot of as well). Itā€™s such an essential feature in todayā€™s world where itā€™s typical to have large amounts of tracks, groups, instruments, and sends, and is equally important in time or music-note-based based positioning/work.

+1 Now, this is the kinda editing feature Cubase could use!

Darn it.! Just filled out the latest ā€˜Cubase customer surveyā€™ - totally forgot to mention this oneā€¦ Of course, it really should have been included in that list of features to choose from, for possible future releases.

I noticed that. Disappointing ā€“ this is a feature that would save so many people a lot of clicking and fussing about, though many might not realize it.

And it was in the long list.

Thanks for suggesting this! Itā€™s great!
I saw it in the survey but I didnā€™t know what it is. I hope itā€™s something they include in future updates.

+1

Drats.! Ok, well I missed thatā€¦ :blush:

+1

+1

+1

Thought that I already supported this one, already. Apparently notā€¦ I remember having put it at a good place among my wishes in the last Cubase survey, though.
A priceless feature, useful in a LOT of situations.

I could see how this would be very useful for corporate recording jobs. In audiobooks, if you want to re-do a page or paragraph and the talent reads it slower or faster, which is guaranteed to happen, you have to select all the clips/takes after it and shift them. So this would dramatically speed up all audiobook recording/editing.

I could see how it would also be useful for voice overs, commercials etcā€¦

+1 killer feature!

yes please +10

It drives me mad that Nuendo does not have this feature. Imagine, you get the locked off picture, spend weeks doing the edit then there are changes to the cut. Scenes shortenedā€¦this would make such a lot of sense to have and other programs I use have this feature which is super helpful.

This is the Cubase category.

It would be great to implement this as per Magix Sequoia/ samplitude. Thereā€™s 4 selectable modes.

1. Normal - (as it is now)
  2. Lock all objects in time (ie events)
  3. Link 1 track (all events after the selected mirror the movement including automation when linked ti the event)
  4. Link all tracks (all events that start after the selected event mirror the movement.)

All these options are accessible in the editor window if you need to slip an edit .

You also have an option to lock individual events if you donā€™t want them moved. which brings up the ā€œmove before lockā€ option which will shift every thing before the first locked event. (usually more a prompt to go and see whatā€™s going on)

Link all tracks is invaluable when multi-track editing. Is there a macro option that sorts this?

Iā€™m very, very new to nuendo/cubase, Iā€™m guessing the Apply changes to all multi track events is taken care of with folder tracks ?