Ripple edit

Why have so few yet use the new vote button at the top of the thread? This is what Steinberg is using now to prioritize feature requests. I am not sure they are counting the number of folks agreeing by posting “+1”… I just used one of my votes to support this very valid feature request.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the heads-up. New user. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

No worries at all! The voting is a new feature to the forum, so I am hoping that the many +1’s here dating back to the last 12 months will find their way into votes. We now have 10 votes already!
And Nuendo 12 was just named as a game changer by an official Steinberg rep here on the forums, features no other DAW has…so who knows… :blush:

+1… Yes, please

Because the voting is severely limited (on purpose, I suspect). So each user has a very limited number of votes available.
The voting system is a useless trick.

1 Like

+1 … would be so great indeed. i use a key command with ‘select for cursor to end’ for now for years

Well actually, you do, and i do use a kind of ripple adit in Nuendo all the time when editing;

All long as you edit a crossfade on all tracks and have group editing enabled.

Using the (Advanced) Crossfade editor, setting “Chaining Mode: Until End” you can move the destination audio or clip, and anything that comes after your fade ripples along.

Just to further demonstrate how Link modes work in Samplitude/Sequoia. This video is from 2010 (and was already a settled feature then). Kraznet also discusses modifier keys (don’t get distracted) but these are also very useful for the quick temporary change of modes on the fly. Since a recent few years, Samp also has Link Modes to the Left as well as Right.

As noted by many of us, yes Nuendo’s crossfade editor with Chaining mode, until end, and grouped items, is similar, but far from a full solution. IMHO Nuendo’s roots in audio for picture (locked to a timeline), or Cubase electronic production (snapped to a grid) could be factors. Anyway all power to Timo and developers to get Nuendo there eventually.

Anyway enjoy the video snippet (duration 3 mins). Don’t cry. :grinning:

P.s. this modes is in addition to insert / delete with ripple, and four point editing, in Sequoia.

As someone who’s doing editing (film), I want my audio tool to use similar approaches (ripple, insert with ripple, 3 point editing, ripple delete, rolling/move cut etc).

2 Likes

+1 This would be very handy

+1 yes please!

I saw Timo in some other thread mention they are very aware how requested this feature is and def want to include it. Maybe v13, who knows.

Wait a little while and Davinci Resolve’s Fairlight will start to become a competitive DAW, for free.

I should make a friend at Blackmagic and persuade them to bring Opcode Vision-type MIDI editing back to the world.

+1 this would be handy…

Sometimes I only need RippleEdit on “one” track, sometimes on all. It should then be switchable. And in many cases I don’t want that at all.
There are also projects where everything has to remain firmly in the timeline and only one dialogue track has to be ripple edited.
There have to be many options to choose from.
That might be difficult then. And then the whole thing in the network with blocked tracks?

There is more or less a workaround for “RippleEdit” on one track.
Just double-click the event or part on your timeline while holding “shift” and all the other events / parts to the right of the clicked one will also be selected.

Not a real RippleEdit at all, but sometimes really handy

1 Like

I have the impression, that many don’t seem to know the related feature set in Nuendo:

• Cut Time (Cuts time from all tracks and events on tracks)
  • Paste Time (Inserts time in all tracks , incl. copied content)
  • Global Copy (Copies all events on all tracks)
  • Insert silence (Inserts time which is empty)

Took me a while to get around this but it works well.
If you for example want to MOVE a certain section across all tracks:

• Mark the section with locators
  • Cut Time
  • Move cursor to new position
  • Insert time (will insert all previously copied/cut events from all tracks)

Accordingly events from all tracks can be deleted (just cut) or copied (Global Copy) without deleting them.

If you use the Range Select Tool in the tool box, specific tracks or events can be selected and the Cut/Paste/Copy/Insert Time/Silence functions only apply to the selected. This is a bit more complex but more flexible than the ripple functionality.

Or am I not getting something here?

3 Likes

I agree, but maybe I’m missing something here as well. Unfortunately, I’m forced to use Pro Tools at my company, and for dialogue editing, its amazing how great “cut time” and “insert time” works for keeping markers/tracks in tact. Combined with soundflow, being able to just highlight anywhere and add/remove time with one key has been very useful.

However, I don’t disagree with adding this tool since it’s available in other programs! But in the end, I love the soundflow/macro setup I have currently to keep things organized when making corrections to a full production.

The idea is good and I agree, but there is another way: I set [A] key as Select: From Cursor to End. It works fine! :slight_smile:

I do the same. But it is still a work around.

Don’t get me wrong: I agree also to adding Ripple Edit because the way it is implemented in Nuendo is not very intuitive or ‘ergonomic’. This is something that annoys me very often when working with Nuendo, that simple things require workarounds, makros, more mouseclicks etc.
My old request for a PAUSE function in transport is one example.

And it is astonishing, how often people ask for features in this forum that already exist. It seems to be a fact, that they simply cant find them.