RMS assessment

Hello,

According to psycho-acoustic data, our ear’s integration time is approx. 250 ms which corresponds to 210ms in Level-Pan Meter Settings/VU Meter(Loudness)/Resolution. Well, more or less.

What was the reason for a default value of 1 sec then? I’m asking because a default behavior of Wavelab’s VU meter is quite slow compare to a traditional VU meter i.e. Wavelab’s VU meter shows a lower RMS level. As consequence it makes an engineer to push RMS higher in mastering.

Thanks,
Vitaly.

This value (1 sec) correspond to a mathematic algorithm that is not directly related to the ear’s integration time. But since you can edit it, I hope this suits you anyway.

Does it mean that RMS reading in Wavelab does not correspond to what we perceive as an average level? Or our ear’s integration time has nothing to do with a signal’s RMS?

Thanks,
Vitaly.

This is not what I mean. I mean that the time figures in WaveLab have a scale of their own, independently from biological metrics. The current default value has been chosen because it “seems” good, empirically speaking. Now, if it is made editable, this is because everybody won’t agree with this choice :wink: