RMS Metering

And while we wait for that… some of us still has do live with all the other standards, including Leq for Cinema.

But of course, in 5-6 years it may have happened, and then you can say “I told you so.”

Just out of curiosity, where do you live.
(AFAIK, Europe and the US are 100% EBU-R128 and/or CALM, so there is not much left out there …)

That is indeed on the request list.

Fredo

Alex,

If you don’t yet use the R128 metering, which you should.

Why not use the Nordic scale for the Nuendo meter. Then you can match it to the PPM requirements of the TV station!?

Fredo:
Sadly not all broadcasters in Norway are R128 compliant yet. NRK the national broadcaster is, TV2 is close, but the two last, TV3 and TVN, is still working on the spec.

Pål

Hi, sorry for late reply. Yes as Pål mentioned Norway is lagging behind, all the channels except the state channel are still broadcasting analogue stereo so a transition to R128 is a long way ahead I fear. But NRK have silently started to sneak it in without anyone noticing, even internally.

True quote:

Me: "Do you want me to deliver this in R128 spec?
NRK: “Hmm… yeah, why not, do that”

@Pål, the problem is only for commercials, where as you know it has to be as loud as possible, that means bouncing on the limit, that’s why I need it to be accurate. For normal broadcast material I use the K12 og PPM meter without problems.

Well, we deliver several commercials in R128 now.

R128 is the standard at NRK now, and other content are stopped at QC.

Nrk R128 deliv. spec.: http://fido.nrk.no/ddadd2ed41c530bf577bb760e56cb88c0e9be8508402f561517ed8447a95c0ec/nrk_technical_delivery_standards_v4%200_2014.pdf

Suggestion: Start using the loudness meter even though you do not deliver R128 compliant mixes.
Limit at -3dBTP, use the new Brickwall Limiter and always check “detect intersample clipping”

fig.:
Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 10.47.18.png
Next, use the RME Digichk meter to check where you are on the “Momentary Max” reading.
Then you can use the loudness meter even for non R128 mixes.
At the same time learn how your 30s, 20s and 60s commercials turn out on the “Integraded” scale in LUFS.
When done learning, create a preset for the loudness meter which applies to what you learned.
Then suddenly you get a preset that will warn you if you are way over your standards also!

Voila! Two problems solved. And you learn how to work with the meter at the same time.

Pål

Thx, I’ll check it out. :wink:

How did it go? :smiley:
I think we can say that after 9 years everyone is at some form of R128 spec. But still a standard is not a standard.
Thank you for -27 dialogue gated loudness Netflix! Made it a lot better IMHO.