Rock meets Prog, Metal meets Country

Hi

I released an EP with 5 songs recently. It was a great experience for me. From songwriting and recording over mixing and mastering to the release of the album and learn about distribution of the product.

I’m an amateur and bass player as the main instrument. What I could play I recorded in my home studio. What I couldn’t (like e.g. drums), I used virtual instruments from different companies. Although I own Wavelab, I did the mastering within Cubase.

The release is a concept album called “Dark Moon Over Countryside” and contains Country elements combined with Progressive structures and offbeats, including Rock & Metal guitars, basses and drums.

If you have 30 minutes or so, I would be glad if you listen to the album. If you like it (or know somebody who could), please recommend it to your friends and colleagues :smiley:

Here are the links to the songs in the intended order:

Neither Blue Nor Black

Strangeness

Wide Open Plains

Pour Oil On Troubled Waters

Neither Blue Nor Black (Reprise)

If you want more info, visit my webpage New release available: Mihalis! - Pumpstoss Music

Cheers
Dieselmachine

Hey DM, I lisetened to the the 1st three tracks (so far). Good stuff. The 3rd track, Wide Open Plains, is right in my wheelhouse. I created a playlist and will listen more! Thanks for posting.

Beitrag von slipstream02 » 06 Nov 2016 02:38

Hey DM, I lisetened to the the 1st three tracks (so far). Good stuff. The 3rd track, Wide Open Plains, is right in my wheelhouse. I created a playlist and will listen more! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the kind feedback. Hope you’ve enjoyed the tracks.

excellent work ,very creative ,will listen to some more later. cheers

Thank you Polgara :smiley:

Nice work, congrats! Personal notes: I was expecting more bass presence as you cited prog rock and is a bass player, but I think you focused on a more “metal tone” on the tracks.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciated.
Yes you’re right. I have to admit that the bass is more of a straightforward rock one except of a few exceptions.

A good synthesis of styles.

Gotta love slide guitar. :sunglasses:

Thanks indeed. Yeah, I also hope to have even more slide in my next Project

I think I listened earlier and forgot to reply. This is great stuff! I truly like the meeting of the styles. It works! The EP also makes a lot of sense, one song to the next. Congratulations. If you ever do open it up again, I think you could revisit the bass. It’s coming across weakly on my speakers. Also, I’d suggest you give it some “maximizer” to raise the overall loudness a bit (I use Ozone for this), so that it doesn’t sound so quiet compared to professional recordings. Anyway, well done!

Hi Early21. Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback. The writing and production of the abum was a great learning experience for me and I’m sure with your feedback and the ones I received from others, my next release will get better.

Few weeks ago I bought iZotopes Music Production Bundle with Neutron and Ozone and I’m playing around with it right now. Let’s see what it can do in terms of mixing and mastering. Actually on this production I used the Waves L1 Ultramaximizer with setting the loudest song to -1 dB and the others relative to that. I have chosen it, because it was easy to dither from 24 to 16 bit with that tool also.
I’ve recognized while doing it that it has not the amount of loudness as a professional production has, but I was afraid of getting too much compression.

About the bass: I think you’re right. Although it’s my main instrument, I put not enough focus on it and would do it differently already.

Thx again and regards