Rooting VST-Outputs to different audio tracks

Hey Guys

I’m new to the Pro version of Cubase 8 and like to root the outputs of VST instruments (for example different slots in HSSE or different parts of a drum [snare, tom etc] in Groove Agent SE 4) to different audio tracks.
I’d like to have one audio track for each element of a drumset and not just one for the entire Groove Agent drumset.

The stuff I already know:
It’s not possible to root a VST rack instrument directly to an audio track, the VST output has to be set to a group channel. Then the audio input of the audio track has to be set to that group channel.
When I do this I obviously only get the entire drumset recorded into one audio track.

How can I record a single track for each drum, snare etc. of Groove Agent?
Because I’m new to the software a clear step by step instruction would be great :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your help!

I think you need to examine the multi output options for VSTi’s. When loading a VSTi you’ll have the option (triangle in the upper most right corner of the vsti),
then configure how much outputs are needed (16 is the maximum I think), see the attached picture!

BTW: Root must be Route :wink:

Hello,
Thanks for your help. :smiley: I now managed to route the outputs to different groups and it works! But do I really need to make as many groups as outputs (picture in attachement)? Isn’t there another way? :open_mouth:

No need to make any groups…not sure why you have??

VST Instruments

Record VST instrument tracks without using groups or bounce or export - by JMCecil

F4 → Output tab → hit + sign and create a Stereo Output called whatever “VSTi Out”. Do not assign this output to any of your audio card outputs.
On your Instrument track, set the output to the “VSTi Output” from the previous step.
Create a Stereo Audio Track in the project, set the INPUT to “VSTi Output”
Enable monitor and/or Record enable.

should check the tips and tricks Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness - Cubase - Steinberg Forums there are lot more :slight_smile:

The problem is not to “bounce” the vst instrument into only one audio track. I could easily render the vst track in place or record - as you said - into one audio track.

Let’s use groove agent as an example: I’d like to have one audio track for each output. Imagine the situation as you would have it when recording a real drumset instead of a virtual instrument. You would have one audio track on your mixing console for each element of the drumset (toms, crash etc.).

I do not want to mix the entire set in groove agent, because it’s kinda messy when dealing with automation and I have a better overview on the mixing console. Does this make sense? :question:
Any tips to achieve this without making a group for each groove agent output? :wink:

u can create as many inner-bus as many u want (one per out)

then route the out of the multi-insturments to them, then the busses to the audio tracks (enable monitoring then done)

u can create parallel routing using the direct routing in the mixer (if u need parallel compression etc. )

Thank you very much! I think that’s what I was looking for :slight_smile:
So ultimately no need to bypass with groups. :bulb: