Routing a Virtual Audio Bus into Cubase

I’ve recently found myself in a situation where I need to route audio from an app into Cubase using a virtual audio bus. In Ableton, this virtual audio bus appears in the sound settings, allowing me to easily listen to it directly. However, I’m having difficulty achieving the same in Cubase as it doesn’t seem to detect this virtual bus in the same manner.

Could anyone provide some guidance on how to make Cubase recognize and listen to a virtual audio bus?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

In Cubase you can use only one Audio Device in time. So you would need to choose your virtual bus as an ASIO driver.

Or use ASIO4ALL (Windows) or Aggregate Device (Mac) to create virtual ASIO driver which merges multiple devices to one driver.

There’s also VBAudio’s software that can access your interface and in some cases you can basically go through your interface’s mixer software using VBAudio. That would allow you to keep using your dedicated interface driver in Cubase.

In my case I use the MOTU driver in Nuendo to get access to my 16A interface, and that driver allows for VBAudio’s “banana” which is an audio app to access the 16A at the same time. Then I can route signals via that interface in/out of Nuendo.

Just an option on Windows, in case you need it.

A good term to use for web searches is “audio loopback”. So for Windows, I’d start with a search something like this.

Several audio interfaces also provide audio loopback typically configured in their software mixing console. I happen to use RME and their TotalMix FX utility, but there are others.

Exactly the same here. If your Audio Interface supports Loopback that’s the way to go. I created a preset in TotalMix to call it up as needed.

Also keep in mind when doing this kind of stuff, it is super easy to inadvertently create audio feedback loops. So triple check your audio routing and make sure the volume is low and a control knob close. I have a Cubase Template just for Loopback so I’ll know the routing is good to start with.

2 Likes

Hi,

Steinberg Audio Devices also support Loopback (I always forget this awesome feature).

1 Like

The great thing about TotalMix is that you can utilize any unused channels as software playback channels. I have 8 ADAT channels unconnected that I use for various software. One for Windows audio, one for BiaB, another for Amplitube and Guitar Rig, etc. It’s super intuitive as well.
TotalMix along with RME’s rock solid drivers and an unsurpassed product lifetime has made me a lifelong customer. I will never buy another brand audio interface if I have a choice.

1 Like

… and a couple of additional things I love about my RME interface:

• multi-client ASIO
  • low latency
3 Likes

I appreciate the suggestion to explore audio loopback options. However, in my specific case, I have reasons for not wanting to loop the entire sound playback. My intention is to capture the audio from a particular app exclusively, which is why I have set up a dedicated virtual audio bus…

After some experimentation, I have found a solution that meets my requirements. I followed the suggestion provided by @Martin.Jirsak and utilized the “Aggregate Device” feature in the Audio MIDI Setup utility on macOS. By creating an aggregate device and selecting the specific app’s audio output as a source, I was able to route the audio directly into Cubase without looping the entire sound playback.