rtpMIDI Timing Problem

I just set up an rtpMIDI network via Ethernet. It connects my synths, my mioXL MIDI interface, and my W10 computer.

It took me a while to figure it all out, but now I have it up and running, except for one glitch…the MIDI note timings are not always accurate.

I see that Cubase has an option to select “Use System Timestamp for Windows MIDI Inputs”, which is supposed to cure this problem. So I selected it, but the problem persists.

I do see in the rtpMIDI app that there is approximately 100ms of latency in my connections. I’m not sure what is causing this or what I can do about it, but it seems a good place to start in order to solve the timing issue.

One wrinkle is that not all of the MIDI notes play late. The timing is more ragged than that…sometimes OK, sometimes late.

Ideas anyone? Thanks.

What latency do you get if you do a network timing measurement? (use a ping to the ipadress of your xl)

I’m not really sure how to do a ping, but I’ll look into it. GIYF and all that.

I should mention that sometimes the latency (as shown in rtpMIDI) is horrendous…upwards of 96,000ms.

OK, so I did a ping, and the “Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds” were all 0ms.

So that’s not the cause of the latency. Maybe a mioXL driver or firmware issue? But I’m on the latest firmware. I’ll next check the driver, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Thank you.

OK, so I did a ping, and the “Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds” were all 0ms.

So that’s not the cause of the latency. Maybe a mioXL driver or firmware issue? But I’m on the latest firmware. I’ll next check the driver, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Thank you.

Well, then there is no real reason why you should not have similar performance on your midi. The ping is acting on quite low level, but not more than 2-3 ms extra should be accepted for application layers.