running backing tracks

looking into the iPad with Cubasis to run multitrack backing tracks, and run them summed to mono with click on 1 side.
Anyone doing this?

how is the performance of the iPad. what minimal specs should i look for? don’t want anything to crash mid song…

can you setup the file on a Mac then copy it to the iPad to save time?

thanks

Hi illafent,

Please note that Cubasis comes with dedicated Metronome setup options.
Here it is possible to setup precount bars, select the output destination(s) and make adjustments for panning and volume.

Please find more information Setup/Metronome chapter of the Cubasis help.

If you’re not equipped with Cubasis, it might make sense to download our free downloadable Cubasis LE OEM app version.
While Cubasis LE is designed to be used with supported OEM audio interfaces (that allows to unlock a dedicated feature set), the app can be used in a thirty minute demo mode.

Cubasis LE comes with a reduced feature set compared to Cubasis.
Nevertheless, it might be worth a try to check out your dedicated use case before purchasing the full Cubasis version.

Best,
Lars

I know that it is late in the game on this response. Here is what I know, practice and enjoy.

I use a first gen iPad Air for the reason that I need the storage more than the CPU/RAM. My iPad Air Gen 1 has 128gb storage. Here is what I do.

What you will need is an iCloud account, a cheaper multi output audio interface (I use the Behringer Uphoria 1802 - used $120), a full version of Cubasis 2 or 3 and Cubase.

1. Record and master backing tracks in Cubase
  2. Name each track with song name, a dash and the instrument/vocal doing the backing track as 24bit .wav file e.g. Uptown Funk - Horns.wav
    this will eventually yield, say, a backing track cluster of
    Uptown Funk - Drums.wav
    Uptown Funk - Horns.wav
    Uptown Funk - Backing Vocals.wav
    Uptown Funk - Triggers.wav (triggers are vocal cues to song structure such as "Chorus! 1-2-3-4) on the click channel
    Uptown Funk - Click.wav
  3. Export “stems” (not the main mixdown but each track) to yield the tracks listed above.
  4. Select and send them to a zip file like Uptown Funk.zip (all tracks zipped)
  5. Upload to iCloud
  6. Start Cubasis and create a template with your audio device attached. Prepare tracks with such names as “Click”, “Triggers”, “Drums”, “Inst1”, Inst2" etc. Routing the backing tracks to 1/2 of your Uphoria, and Click and Triggers to 3/4
  7. Create/Save as template by clicking the camera icon next to your project in the media view.
  8. Start a new project by double tapping your template and then select the “Import” at the bottom left
  9. Pick the far right option on the pop up dialogue box that pops up to get to your icloud where the zip file is located and download your Uptown Funk zip file. Cubasis will automatically extract it.
  10. Drag and drop your files (located in media under My Audio Files) to the prepared track names in cubasis and make sure they are all set exactly at the first or zero measure
  11. Rename that project Uptown Funk and you now have a fully professional backing track that you simply double tap to open, make sure it is rewound and hit play. Repeat this for all songs.
  12. Don’t worry about multiple files in the media for different songs, they will automatically cluster in Cubasis according to name, so you are good

Tips for playlist arrangement that I use.

• Set one all tracks begin with song# - (like 1 - 01) and Song Name Project name looks like “1 - 01 Uptown Funk”
  • Set two all track begin with 2 - 01
  • Set Three begins with 3 - 01 (etc)
    Parked tracks (songs) not being used I start with 999. If I want to park Uptown Funk backing track it is labeled “999 Uptown Funk”. If I want to infuse it as the fourth song in the third set, I rename the project “3 - 04 Uptown Funk”. Cubasis auto arranges the order so it works.

Tips for incorporating into your band:
Route stereo out 1/2 from your Uphoria (or other cheap multi out interface) to a R/L mixer channel
Route stereo out 3/4 from your Uphoria (or other) to another R/L on your mixer, but Mute the channel(s). Band members can use the muted channels to route the Aux Pre Fader To their in ears for the click/triggers and mix the tracks in the in ears as well.
The result is no click to the mains, but sweet sounding backing tracks, a tight band and a great sound!

Cheap, and will make you lots of money, and you will blow away the other bands that just want to play “close enough for rock and roll.” Audiences hate plug-in-and-play bands anymore. They will love you, your band and your tightness without ever caring at all about the backing tracks.

All of this via Cubasis!!!

Thank you for sharing your insights, Howifeel!

Best,
Lars

Thanks Lars. Cubasis is an amazing tool! Much cheaper than Ableton 10 Standard, which is what I had been using. Apple iPad recognizes almost any audio interface. I just tested it with the audio interface in my Soundcraft UI24R and the iPad sees it without a problem. I am bypassing the Uphoria and just playing fully stereo backing tracks with click and vocal triggers. I can independently mix each track in each song. It is amazing!

Not sure if I was totally clear on my steps, but I did the best I could.

Again, thanks!

1 Like