Running UR44 and other audio interface together?

My computer setup is a 2011 Macbook Pro with 8 GB Ram, local 320 GB SSD drive for system files and an external 500 GB firewire drive for audio files.

I have a Steinberg UR44 audio interface which I really like. It gives me 4 XLR and 2 line inputs for a total of 6 analog inputs. But now I have a project where I want to record my rock band “live” and would love to have 8 analog inputs recorded at the same time.

I know about aggregate devices on the Mac and have tried it with okay success on a smaller scale but never with the Steinberg UR44 and another interface.
So before buying one more interface I’d like to ask some Steinberg UR users with some experience the following questions:

1. If I buy a UR22 or another UR44 do I have to link them using aggregate devices or do they both show up as one interface in dspmixfx?

2. If I choose to run one UR44 and one UR22 interface for a total of 6 XLR + 2 line inputs will I still be able to use the no-latency monitoring in dspmixfx while recording through both interfaces, even if I need to set them up as aggregate devices?

3. My friends have audio interfaces from different manufactorers that I can loan if I need to. If I setup my Steinberg UR44 and another USB interface (Focusrite Scarlett, Roland Quad-Capture etc.) as an aggregate device will I still be able to use dspmixfx with the Steinberg interface for no-latency reverbs on a couple of vocal channel while recording through both interfaces at the same time?

If you have any experiences with the above I would greatly appreciate your insights. :slight_smile:

Best regards
Aamer Khan
Copenhagen, Denmark

1 Like