Runs Notation?

There is a section on my music that is full of quick runs and will require me to use Dorico’s tuplet input, which I have been dreading, because it’s not that easy to understand. I want to have a 16 note run on a span of 1 beat. How do I do that using the popover?

You can get 16 Notes in the time of 1 beat (quarter?) without any tuplets. You need to use 64th notes.
Or does your beat contain of more or less than a quarter?

Ok, let’s pretend I want 17 notes to fit on a quarter note duration (in 4/4) how do I do that?

which note value do you want the 17 notes to be? 8ths? 16th? 64th?

If you want for example 8ths, you should write 17:2e into the popover. If you want 16ths, then you need to write 17:4x in the popover.

The formular goes

[number of desired notes of a certain note value]:[number of notes the note value takes regulartly]n

… where n is the note value to be specified:

w = whole
h = half
q = quarter
e = eights
x = sixteenth
y = 32nd
z = 64th

You don’t need to specify a note value, then the notevalue of the note or the rest you selected will be assumed. If you are entering while using the caret, the note value of the chosen rhythmic duration at the left will be assumed.

1 Like

Another way to do it, and what I find easier, is to press the note value first (like 4 for 16th notes), then type the ratio. So if you wanted 17 notes in the span of a quarter, and displayed as 16th notes, I would type 4, then semicolon, then 17:4 (“17 in the span of 4”), Enter. Then input your notes.

1 Like

True! I use pitch before duration, so I hadn’t thought of this, because i think this method only works with duration before pitch.

And normally you don’t need to consider different options for the note value. The largest power of 2 less than the number of notes determines the value. For 17 notes in a quarter, use 64th notes because 16 64ths equal a quarter. 37 notes in a whole bar of 4/4 would be 37:32 of 32nd notes.

You can even type the notes first, then select them, and turn them into a tuplet.

Here, you’ll get 17 of these notes in the space of 16 of them.

3 Likes

Thanks guys. This is the kind of info/tricks I wish was easily accessible in the manual.

I got this result by typing “tuplets” into the Dorico 4 web manual search bar: Turning existing notes into tuplets (steinberg.help)

2 Likes