RX 7 connect does NOT work

With Cubase 10 and the latest RX 7 I’m finding that it sends fine to RX Connect, but when coming back and hitting Apply it round trips back to RX Connect again…

Not awesome.

Connect and Monitor are still an issue… I have contacted Izotope several times and they have reluctantly admitted that this function does not work with Nuendo 8 and RX 6, but I have not confirmed with 7… Im definitely not assuming it works… This is a huge tool for post production since not all of the isotope tools are usable as plugins.

I would like to point out that we are Mac based, so I am not sure about how PC guys are doing (don’t even get me started on apple)

PC is fine.
For the moment.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

Exactly the same here. It’s just an endless loop on PC, I am unable to apply the return trip to the audio. (Auto-apply is DISABLED).

Still an endless loop here with Cubase 10.0.10.

Has this been resolved in any way. RX7 is a piece of crap here on a PC with 8.3. When are going to be able to work with two different pieces of audio like Pro Toll people can?

Steinberg announced the aquisition of spectral layers pro at NAMM.
Pretty ugly marketing move to break RX6 then RX7 integration imho.

I knew nothing about “Spectral Layers” until searching online right now.

Judging from what I read and from where RX7 is right now I’d say there’s no competition really. Even with the inconveniences we encounter with RX7 I think the other one is probably years and years behind in functionality.

That said, I haven’t done a paid job on Nuendo for a long time now, only Pro Tools, so I can’t really comment on just how bad or annoying RX integration in Nuendo 8.x is…

Oh boy…

There is no conspericy or hidden agenda.

I said it before: the reason why RX doesn’t work properly is because Izotope hasn’t implemented the VST3 standard correctly.
Izotope is aware of the problem, and it’s up to them to fix the problem.
Steinberg will not break it’s own protocol in order to solve a problem from a third party plugin developer.

That beding said, I work with Rx7 each and every day within N8.x and C10.

Fredo

I’m with Fredo here, RX7 works well 90+% of the time. On the rare occasion it doesn’t I just close and reopen the DOP window and everything is fine, both Mac 10.12.x and Windows 10.

About the conspiracy thereory…well you are closer to Steinberg than I am. Of course I don’t know if this is coincidence or planned. I just notice things.

I am not a developer - nor do I know how Steinberg chooses to implememt it’s programming interfaces with 3rd party developers. What I do notice however is that RX7 is working flawlessly on my machine with ProTools Ultimate 2018, yet it does not work at all on Nuendo 8.
I have spoken with Steinberg and mailed with iZotope, both acknowledged the problem. A solution has not been implemented.
Since dialog editing consumes about 50% of my time I chose to leave Nuendo after watching Steinberg not solving the problems I have for a considerable amount of time. That includes messing up RX7 integration but also not being able to at least display the metadata from field recorders. (if not allow workflows like conforming audio)

That’s because you are on PC and the problem is only showing on Mac.

The bottom line for me is: Steinberg has once been a company that offered outstanding 3rd party integration, it could be argued that they invented 3rd party audio software with VST and it has been a huge success story. Over the years they have become more protective of their platform, not allowing easy integration from outside (ara, decreasing eucon quality that manifests in problems with the PT app and not allowing hide channels, no proper way to transfer files to the outside world). You can search the reason for this whereever you want. Maybe it’s marketing, maybe lazyness maybe a lack of resources or knowledge. As stated in another thread. I don’t care what it is but I need a way to display field recorder metadata, integrate the auto align plugin from soundradix, a WORKING vocalign and RX and audio conform solution and a well integrated industry standard ISDN replacement.
Since Pro Tools has had a huge installed customer base in audio post for a long time now a great group of companies has been established around the software that solves problems for users. It’s a lot more expensive than the Nuendo platform, especially if you add all the elements (that need to be bought as sperate software packages), but it solves problems.

I stand by my word. If you want to play a role as an audio post daw you need to offer RX integration on the mac platform. If you don’t you might as well stop selling the product.

Oliver

Yes on a Mac I find that RX7 Connect works most of the time, but there are enough occasions where it fails and does the endless loop that it’s very annoying. Generally on an immediate second process to the same piece of audio it fails every time.

Lucas you are making arguments that are valid but still to me would never compell me to switch daw.
Obviously they did for you.
Some counter arguments why I wouldn’t consider doing the same below:

If Rx7 has issues (yes it does on Mac) you could always stay with RX6 until Izotope gets there act together.
Field recorder metadata. Yes it is needed, yes it has taken to long to be implemented but has been stated that it is on the way soon.
You didn’t have field recorder workflow when you started using Nuendo. So nothing has changed.
We edit dialogue all the time. We have spent the time to get metadata viewable in Nuendo and use a 3rd party program to conform the dialogue so we really do not NEED field recorder workflow, but it sure would be a nice addition.
ARA support was announced as a coming feature on this past NAMM show.

Yes sound radix is sweet, can I work without it? Sure, we did for many years and can keep doing it until we get support for it.

In PT: Can I work without a proper solo system in PT? Not without tearing my hair out. Can I work with panning on buses? No not unless I add spanner to all buses. Can I easily adjust monitoring setup headphone routing, external sources, stems monitoring and fold downs and monitor level control? Nope.Can I easily import EDLs, or create ADR lists, of prep ADR with dialog text overlays on screen? No. Can I preview any sound that is in a track without a voice assigned (or is muted, or is on a muted track)? No. Can I work with multiple marker tracks and colouring them to indicate status? No. Can I bind almost any function to a keycommand I chose? No. When recording ADR will PT handle all my needs renaming recordings, record enable tracks, switch monitoring and cues and be able to add “metadata” as to what was done during ADR? No. Does PT have full latency compensation without limitations? No. How about reconforming as the edit changes, can PT do that? No. Macros? No. Project Logical Editor (couldn’t live without it). No! Can you easily temporarily link multiple channels without having to setup groups? No. Does PT have something like direct routing? No you have to use sends as a workaround. Can you organise your files in the clip bin? No. Can you easily undo or rework processed audio files like you can with DOP? No. Can you easily within a audio event shift its content like you can using alt-shift-click-drag? No.

So again is it possible to edit dialog without perfect integration of Izotope RX7 or Radix?
I want it as much as anyone but of course it doesn’t stop me from performing great work regardless.

Do I want or need these features to? Yes for sure. Do I need them? Not in need as I can’t possibly do good work without them but, yes need them as they will make it possible to use new technology only available using these tools at this time.

Would I consider switching back to editing dialog in PT to get it? Not in a million years.

For me recorded speech and it’s sound is the single most important thing in audio post. I really think preserving takes is much better than doing ADR.
In 90-100% of the programmes I work on there are situations where a mix of the boom and the lavs are the best solution if it does not introduce new problems (phasing)
Of course, I can still manually try to fix phase problems or use reverb on the lavs to get the sound right or do ADR, but soundradix is FAST and it WORKS. VERY WELL.
It solves a problem I have in almost every session, it saves time and sounds better. It’s the most important audio tool released last year.
Steinbergs unhelpful way of tring to solve everything themselves actually prevents users from using 3rd party solutions.

About your points regarding PT. They are all valid to a certain degree and as in Nuendo for each of them there is a workaround.

If you set up your default session the right way it is possible to work with a certain amout of hair remaining of your head. Still not as good as in Nuendo, I agree.

Well, my studio is probably considerably smaller than yours.
Again you need to think more about your default sessions/routing, it’s crap to miss the control room, but it’s possible.

True, I had to buy external softwares to get this done. The EDL handling is much better in the software by soundsinsync than in Nuendo, if you ask me, though.

The voice assignment is not a problem in the native version that I use.

The solution is to use dummy clip groups instead.

Don’t get me started on the macro engine in Nuendo that has not seen any love since version one I believe. 3rd party tools do the job and are much more flexible, imho.

Again, you will need 3rd party tools. The Nuendo ADR tool on the other hand is not exactly user friendly if you ask me.
Also, AFAIK there is still no way to loop a part with streamers, something that I have missed from v1 of the tool.
I actually spoke to the product manager of another audio post tool about this and he asked me “I am impressed that Nuendo has this, especially at the cost, but is this really how you do this in Germany? It seems so unintuitive and over complicated.” i could not agree more.
This is also a question of preferences, I admit.

True

Use a 3rd party solution. MUCH slower, but very reliable.

3rd party tool, more expensive but better for me.

No, but I have yet to find something I need that cannot be done without it. I personally hate the interface of this tool.

You can alt or alt shift for many things and groups are really easier to handle in Nuendo. I say this after using PT for months and Nuendo for years (well they are still realtvely new in Nuendo)

Yes, you can assign multiple outs, no problem here.

True

Well, our view might be quite different here, but for me the DOP and all the grief the pre-alpha release has caused was one of the reasons to leave Nuendo. You are right it works with some plugins now, other plugs and Nuendo processes still cause major pain.
Pro Tools on the other hand has clip-eq as an object property. Mark a region, press the hot key 1-6 for default EQ settings and boom, you are ready to go. Don’t like it? Press the hot key for bypass and BOOM, you are ready. That’s what I have been crying out for in Nuendo for decades (since I loved clip EQ on the fairlight)
Also, usually I don’t audiosuite process entire files, so if you leave a bit at the beginning or end you can still drag out the old version or just delete the processed version it it is on top of the other (PT can now finally do this)
If that is not enogh you can still have a copy on another track or playlist. Easy enough for me.
I much rather have a working way to do audiosuite renderings than a flawed DOP, that does not work a year after the initial release without workarounds.

True, better in Nuendo. It sort of works in PT, but it’s not as smooth.

You forgot the lack of post fader inserts on groups, that REALLY sucks in ProTools, as well as the fact that bounces always record the input rather than the output of an aux track…

At the same time you can find tons of things that Nuendo can’t do or where PT is better. Things like:

• control cmd click to show the corresponding automation lane
  • working copy/paste plugin automation
  • plugin snapshot automation
  • clip based non destructive eq!
  • the ability to load the entire session into ram and work the entire mixing session without reading from hdds once…
    …which also results in breathtakingly fast non realtime bounces and snappier workflows.
  • the ability to import mxf video
  • more flexible import options for sessions and aaf
  • mp4 audio import
  • the ability to apply audio suite on “empty” regions
  • almost all rx processes available as audiosuites, so you don’t even need to export to the standalone app
  • half speed operations also for writing/recoding
  • a working, fast plugin preset handling, I found myself not using Nuendo’s plugins at all because of the tedious and slow way Nuendo does this
  • a working and FAST way to handle databases, it feels like 1000 times faster than media bay on my systems.
  • working VCA system
  • more organized session folder structure (automatically saves backups in folder)
  • a unified set of key commands for all (freelance) users, so you will automatically be able to work on any system
  • a 3rd party infrastructure surrounding the app that has a lot of solutions that are available, tested and ready to buy if you need them
  • a freeware programme that creates superb music cue lists
  • many colleagues that use the same application and can help

I am sure both of us can find tons of other aspects that are better in one or the other application.
Maybe I am too imaginative, so that I am actually annoyed at both programs because I can think of so many things that are just badly designed or missing in both applications.

• Why on earth is the workflow for alternative takes/mic positions so tedious?
  • How come Nuendo and ProTools can both not automatically generate metadata based on spoken content (like MediaComposer can?) Why can I search for a spoken phrase in a video app but not a DAW?
  • Why can’t we work with bins like in video editing systems?
  • Why is session loading time so slow?
  • Why does all audio need to be on a timeline rather than cells that I can trigger as in Ableton?
  • Why can’t I copy and paste from a buffer of 10 sounds rather than just one? (do I hear you say footsteps?)
  • Why do DAWs not automatically detect picture cuts in video?
  • Why is EQ and PAN not an object property rather than a linear automation line on a timeline?
  • Why can’t I drag and drop audio to the desktop?
  • Why is everything so buggy?
  • Why does my back hurt?
  • Is there a GOD, what’s the meaning of life?

You need a proper chair and a motorized table to help with your back pain.

Yes PT does have a few good things. I would still not chose to use it for dialog editing over Nuendo. I find it slow tedious and unfriendly. Just like Avid :slight_smile:

You did not answer the part about GOD and the meaning of life… :slight_smile:

46 is it? And oh, Steinberg is God.

Level 46, I went too seen them last year. They were amazing!
If Charlie is God I might get into trouble with blasphemy charges :laughing: