rythmic edition workflow

Hello,

I have a recurrent problem when the need of editing previous material is needed.
Very often, this is post import of midi file.

The number if steps it takes me to go from A to B is just enormous.
I have tried every possible way but I have to say I don’t find it very intuitive…

Is there a fester way ???
Most of the time, I have to copy and paste elsewhere and I finally end up rewriting the thing

Any clue would be great here…
Thanks

Yan
A.jpg
B.jpg

One of the reason I can’t make this work easily may be a bug ??? (or not ??)
Look
I select the first three 8th notes, invoke the popover tuplet, hit 3:2 and I get picture B2
That’s not right, no ?

Yan
B2.jpg
A2.jpg

Can somebody help me with this edition issue, especially the second one :
I really don’t get why the 3 eight notes won’t become a triplet…
Please ?

All the best
Yan

The retrospective tupletise function only works on notes, not rests. And no, it’s not a bug, it’s the way it works. With your second example, you could add a note on the second quaver/eighth rest, then tupletise, then delete the note. It’s not ideal but it’s the only way I can think of to use this function in this case.

Your first example doesn’t work for exactly the same reason. Again, the speediest solution I can think of involves changing the existing notes in order to get the correct tuplet brackets, then resetting the notes to the way they were before:

I realise I work fast. The steps are:

1. Turn on Insert mode.
  2. Select and delete existing tuplet numbers/brackets.
  3. Turn off Insert mode.
  4. Select the chords/notes and turn them into crotchets/quarters.
  5. Turn on Insert mode.
  6. Tupletise the three crotchets/quarters.
  7. Turn off Insert mode.
  8. Turn the notes back into quavers/eighths.

The other option is to create the correct tuplet somewhere, then Alt+Click each existing note into the new tuplet. Then copy and paste the whole chunk back into the original stave/bar. You can only Alt+Click one note/chord at a time.

Dear Pianoleo

Thank you very much for this very clear explanation.
I now see what was the problem…

I must confess that this engaging insert on and off is not very easy and intuitive when you edit.
and the fact that the music is being pushed further along the edit is quite difficult to get used to for a en Finale user… (100 bars after this one…)
I still wish we had some kind of an edit mode were the content of an edited bar stays in the bar while being edited until validated.

Thanks again for your help
Best

Yan

ps
Do you know the actual reason why the rests cannot be tupletised ?

In Dorico, most of the rests in the score are not “things” at all. They are just gaps between the notes, which are filled up automatically with the correct symbols on the staff. For example, if you add a note in insert mode, the notation might change from a single half-rest in one bar to two quarter-rests with a bar line separating them.

You can create “explicit rests” that have a fixed duration and behave more like notes (e.g. you can move their vertical position on the staff anywhere you want) but you don’t often need to do that.

Finale stores the music in “frames” which are basically one bar of music on one staff. If you want to move music from one frame to the next, you have to do something to make that happen. You can have frames which contain the wrong number of beats compared with the time signature, etc.

Dorico doesn’t work like that. Internally, all the music on one staff for a complete flow is one continuous stream of data. It only gets split into “bars” etc when it is displayed on the staff.

thanks for these clarifications.
I love the program, some things are just little hard to get when you have old habits…
All the best

Yan

Just remember what Dorothy said:
“Toto, I don’t think we’re in Finale any more.”