Same Old Dawn

Thanks for giving it another listen, Bob. I wouldn’t mind having a producer sitting next to me to show me a few tricks! I’m still in an early learning phase. Even the stuff I think I learned, I’m not so sure it’s right!

Definitely more of a “punch” factor going on right from the start now. Nice flow all the way through. I really dig your guitar playing style.

I know what you mean with the mix tweaking. Most of the time I can hear what I want to accomplish in my head but I just don’t have the experience to produce those sounds yet. It can be frustrating. Highly rewarding though when you can listen back and compare earlier mixes and know you have improved things. With every new project I try it seems like I can get a little closer to what I’m after in a little less time. It’s an endless journey with many peaks and valleys.

You must be a fast learner. I think what I’ve heard from you so far sounds great :sunglasses: .

Thanks for checking it out again, Scab. I’ve been at it a long time, but I think I’m still in the early phases, because I’ve never worked in a studio to learn how it’s really done. Mostly just guessing and following bad advice found on the web (and a book or two). So it’s a quest!

Haha! I don’t think it’s exotic dancer, but I can hear it sounds much more quantised at the beginning - this changes completely when the guitar comes in.

Sounds great with the more pumped up bass.

Steve.

whenever I hear your music I seem to want to reach for this old album as I did last night. not that this particular song is exacting of your style but theres so many similarities in progression throughout the album.

Ah, the dreaded quantizing! Will think about that, thanks for the helpful feedback.

Interesting. Because I wish it sounded like this:

mixed with this:

But it comes out much more sterile sounding, like Steely Dan!

cool, “one size fits all” my all time fav zappa album, well thats tonites food.

interesting dave weckl was a part of that other track, good stuff, except the heavy rock part I don’t think matched well.

Hey Early,

thanks for the links - I’ve never heard Oz Noy before, that was sensational.

Steve.

I’ve listened a few more times, Early. I think you have made a really great sounding piece here. The playing, composition, and mix are superb. I know I already said that but I just wanted to say it again. Great work!
J.L.

+1 ! :smiley:

And then… in the cold light of day, you once again reset the mixer and start over! :smiley:

Nice job Mr Early! :sunglasses:

Much appreciated, J.L.

Thanks, just re-setting the mixer on one of my recent ones, trying out new drum package. It’s a lot of work. Better than composing, though, because then I’d be staring at a writer’s block!

Nice and recording and playing throughout. I thought the beginning was just a tad unfocused. I can hear the Greg Allman influence. Good work! :sunglasses:

(my guess on the guitar was going to be a Silvertone because it has that sort of “ring” to it)

Thanks for giving it a listen, Doug. I haven’t seen anybody with a Silvertone (in person) since I was a kid! Guess those are now sought after.