Same rhythm, different notation

Dear all,

I didn’t pay attention while inputting the rhythm that I’ve attached as a screenshot. The first bar is how I want it to look, the rest is the same rhythm but notated in a silly way. The latter unfortunately goes on for many many bars and I now want to change the notation to be the same as in the first bar.

Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to rewrite the whole thing?

Best wishes!

Select the top staff material and hit M.

Is this the first step? Because I want to use both staffs in the end. It’s just that I want 16th notes with an 8, not 32 with a 4.

Your question didn’t make that clear.
I think you can probably turn on insert mode, delete all the existing tuplets (just the tuplets themselves, not the notes - easiest using Select More), then reinput the correct tuplets (this’ll have to be one at a time). Remember to turn off Insert mode when you’re done.

Actually Leo, as long as you’re turning the whole selection into the same type of tuplet, you should be able to do it all in one go.

Ooh. I learned something new - thanks Lillie!
Félix, I missed the step of turning the notes into 16ths, so the steps should be as follows:

1. Turn Insert mode on.
  2. Select and delete all the existing tuplets.
  3. Select the passage and hit 4 (to make into 16ths).
  4. With the passage still selected, type ; 8:6 Enter (I’m assuming you’re in compound time)
  5. Turn Insert mode off.

That’s actually what I had already tried but somehow when deleting the tuplets, there are many rests generated (I don’t understand with which logic). Does this have to do with some notes being on another staff?

Does anyone understand this issue?

It might be quicker/easier to investigate if you can share a zip of the project - just a version with this phrase will do. (And in general, please don’t bump threads :slight_smile: )

Insert mode doesn’t seem to play nicely with these tuplets. Just delete the rests, still with Insert mode turned on, like this:

Dear Lillie,

Thank you for your reply and I’m sorry, I just googled “to bump a thread” and only now understand what it means and that I’ve been doing it without thinking. I’m a bit embarrassed and will try to avoid it in the future.

I think I created a ZIP file… Hopefully it works.
Marimba rhythm notation issue.zip (783 KB)

Thank you very much. This works in theory and partly with my project but there are some other issues arising with this method. I think by now the easiest will be to take the time to rewrite the whole thing manually. Thank you for your help!

Don’t feel too embarrassed Félix! We all learn something for the first time sometime, and although it’s mentioned in the “New users start here” thread pinned to the top of the forum, when English isn’t one’s first language it’s especially easy not to take in what that means in practice; probably also true for English native speakers not used to forums.

It doesn’t seem to behave differently to Leo’s gif even if you cross all the notes to the same staff first, so a combination of Insert mode, removing rests, and re-writing where needed might indeed be the ticket.

Thank you for your kind words. One last forum question: Should I stop writing a comment just to thank someone? It doesn’t add anything to the discussion and it does bump the thread up…

I would personally say please continue! I’m sure I’m not the only one who appreciates knowing that a) the advice worked and b) the recipient is grateful and gone away happy. I think “bumping” is really where the last comment in the thread was yours, i.e. you’re not replying to anyone else. Replying to someone to say thanks is just part of the discussion.

Wonderful. Thank you, then. :slight_smile: