Sample Library SSD set up question

Just got done putting my new PC build together which will be used for my DAW.

I am planning to obtain some large sample libraries:

1. Spitfire Audio Albion collection + Symphony solo strings

2. Komplete 11 Ultimate

3. Cinematic Studio Strings + solo Strings

4. Superior Drummer 3.0

Right now I have Samsung 860 EVO SSD’s: 2TB, 1TB, 500GB that I can use for all my sample libraries and future libraries that I will probably add along the way.

Is there any benefit to putting them on different SSD’s as opposed to just cramming as many samples onto 1 ssd before going to the next?
For example, if I dedicate my 2TB to All the spitfire Audio samples, the 1TB for Komplete 11, and then 500GB for Superior Drummer 3.0 would that make my DAW run faster and smoother if I am using a lot of the samples in one project?

Am I correct in thinking that the lesser the load on each SSD the better? Spreading the sample libraries over more SSD’s during the same project will lessen the “work load” of just one ssd trying to access a bunch of samples at once on the same SSD?

Or will it not make an ounce of difference?

Also, I plan on putting my boot drive (Windows 10/DAW/Programs) on a PCIE card in order to have a faster/smoother running system since it will be connected straight to the motherboard using the PCIE lanes vs SATA.

Will this give me the fastest possible running DAW (provided that I optimize Windows 10, no Wi-Fi connected, etc…)?

I will be recording a lot of orchestral stuff mixed with electronic-based and audio (guitars, vox, bass, etc…) into my projects. Some will be more orchestral/cinematic and some more rock/pop/synth.

I will be using a lot of Kontakt libraries and spitfire audio in each projects.

My PC specs:
CPU: 8 core Intel i7-7820x 3.6Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299 Designare EX with Thunderbolt 3; Noctua NH D-15 CPU Cooler
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 Silent Low Profile 2G Fanless
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666 Ram ( up to 128GB)
All Samsung 860 Evo SSD’s using SATAIII ports on Mobo (no HDD); Samsung 860 EVO SSD boot drive PCIE 3.0
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5

My strategy is somewhat statistical:

1. Evaluate the libraries I use the most, and then spread them out over as many separate SSD’s as possible.
  2. Keep all samples from the same library on the same SSD. This is based on discussions with some VST authors.
  3. Place libraries I am not likely to use together on the same SSD.

I have a very similar setup to yours. I have not experienced any issues with SSD bandwidth even with very large, sample-intensive projects. I have 64gb RAM installed, and I often fill most of it up. If you are recording big, multitrack setups with VSTs in use in your computer you might want to up the RAM a bit.

I don’t think it’s worthwhile booting from M2 drives. My bootup from a Samsung EVO 860 ssd is extremely fast, really just a few seconds once or twice a day. I wouldn’t want to spend much more money to make it faster. If I want to be really picky, I could wish that I had an M2 drive for loading certain VST instruments and their samples where gigabytes might be transferred at a time, which might save me a whole 2 minutes in a typical long day. But that has to do with initial loading only, I don’t think I would benefit from an M2 during actual playing. When playing, what really matters is how many disc operations per second can be completed (aka IOPS), which has much more to do with the number of notes that can be played than bytes/second transfer rates. Both SSDs and M2s can “look up” notes at about the same rate, and both are more than fast enough to transfer a typical note load in time to be useful. I think a typical maximum combined SSD data transfer demand on a large orchestral project might be only in the range of 100 to 200 so megabytes/second. Even though hard drives have the transfer rate required, they flummox because they can’t “look up” and start sending notes fast enough because their pathetically low IOPS specifications. Which reminds me how much more powerful I will be when I am fully digitized, look out, world…