Sample Rate and Sampler Track Question

This is just a quick sanity check question. It seems to me, through experimentation, that Cubase is sort of schizoid with respect to sample rates of audio files. For audio track clip files, if the sample rate of the audio file is doesn’t match the project sample rate, then it will not play back properly. It seems that Cubase (unlike, for example, Ableton) just ignores the sample rate and doesn’t correct for it. Usually this is not a problem because usually Cubase will ask you if you want to convert files before you place them on an audio track. (It doesn’t warn you that not converting them is a bad idea, but ok whatever. At first I thought this conversion was just a matter of preference, but learned the hard way when timing got screwed up).

However, a sampler track does correct for the sample rate. If your project is set at 48khz and you drop in a 44.1 khz or even 96khz sample onto that sampler, it will play it back perfectly. (There is also no offer of conversion.)

Do I have this right? Is this working as intended?

:question:

Yes, that is working as intended. It is correct that sample files are treated differently than audio files. That’s because they must be repitched anyway. It’s no different than any sample-based virtual instrument…all the samples in all your sample libraries for virtual instruments have no need to be matched to the project sample rate. Audio files for audio tracks however are not generally repitched, so those are converted to the project sample rate for efficiency. Not all DAWs enforce conversion to the project sample rate. There are pros and cons to either approach.

Thanks for that explanation, it makes more sense to me now!