Sample rate question for Robin- editing..not delivery

Over the past ten years, most of my daw editing has been focused on respeeding, speed correcting, and demixing …mostly tapes from 1960s studio sessions transferred to daw. Initially at 24/48 and then I began doing transfers at 24/96. But I haven’t done many at 96.

No mixing, no delivery media…only editing.

Elastique, Isolate, Csp, Capstan, Cedar…programs/services like that. And then as of three years ago, Spleeter-based etc. I’ve used Spectralayers for years as well for various cleanup tasks and lately, the Spleeter functions.

I’m about to transfer various 1970s 2" 24trk tapes from my MCI to Cubase/Nuendo for a new round of editing projects.

For all the massive respeed/speed correction/demix editing I do, I’m beginning to think I should be working at 192khz. IMD isn’t an issue with my interfaces and in limited discussion with others, I’m thinking that 192 may…somehow…be less destructive to the files undergoing so many timing/speed corrections etc.

Is that a valid analysis? If so, I certainly have no hesitation switching to 192 when using Spectralayers/cb/n12/elastique etc.

Mix and delivery isn’t an issue as completed edits of the multitracks are mixed here in LA direct from daw into a Neve via analog connections, and then the engineers feed to Pro Tools at whatever rate. I’m not generally around for that part.

1 Like

Seriously?

While 96Khz certainly helps over 48Khz when doing speed corrections, I’m not sure going above will add anything. What’s most important is to work in float32, this will guarantee you won’t lose anything.
SpectraLayers always works internally in float32. Saving and working with that format in your other tools will guarantee the cleanest pipeline from end to end, even when doing heavy processing.

2 Likes