Sandboxed VSTs

Um… Why hasn’t anyone requested this? What am I missing? Wouldn’t this be GREAT??? :open_mouth:

Requested this many time (at the time of Cubase 6 I think) because of the VST bridge problems at that time.
When having a misbehaving VST(I) you could simple kill it’s process and continue to work in theory.

It’ s not possible in Cubase.

Cubase would have to be reprogrammed from the ground up to make this possible .

Cubase would have to be reprogrammed from the ground up to make this possible .

That’s exactly what we wish! Make the vst environment steady. It’s a very old technique to isolate processes from each other, when one goes down the rest keeps working!
And if they have to build it from bottom again it has to be. They did it with SX and maybee the time is sooner then we think :slight_smile:

They are kind of in the middle of it, I guess.
They decided to recode the entire program, one element at a time. The mixer was the first element to be replaced, in the 7.x cycle. In 8.x it’s the graphics/window management, and so on.
A complete rewrite from the start would have haltet Cubase for years. If I am right we could see a new audio engine coming in the future, but I guess it would be one of the last to happen. This is all guessing, but making Cubase more bullet proof would make a lot of sense to me.

And…the new engine is…HARRISON !!!

:mrgreen: Off course this is what I dreamt about last night…

Giving myself +1 :laughing:

No that is not truth!
Look at jBridge …
You can bridge every plugin and you only get a message that auxhost (sandbox) has crashed instead of the full Cubase…

Plugin Sanboxing would be great!

Well I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who still wants this… Honestly though, I can see Steinberg saying “just use better plugins; not our problem…” Similar to the dropping of 32bit vst support. I still use WizooVerb, with jBridge, and it crashes (very occasionally, but) ALL of Cubase. If they don’t want to support 32bit plugs, they should at least show us mercy with some type of sandbox. I’m still on C7 – if they add this to the next update, I’m jumping on it!

My question: Why? jBridge kinda/sorta works most of the time. It’s free. Why do we need an SB-badged ‘feature’?

It’s a good thing to keep considering that quality/stability is a big issue among the available vst plugs.

My last inspection of all plugins revealed that I still have a big collection of 2.0 vst plugs, a few of them even 32 bit.
I gave up insisting in using specific vst’s that were troublesome, if I have trouble with a plug several times I resolute remove it from my main DAW but maintain it on my second for testing future updates, even have a 32 bit installation of cubase standing standby.

just pointing out that JBridge\VSTBridge are good tools but the VST itself may be the real problem behind it.

PS: didn’t know that JBridge was a “free” tool.

OK, maybe it’s not ‘free’… it’s what $20?

I’m TOTALLY in favour of maximising backward compatibility. BUT actually -improving- the operability of sketchy 10+ year old plugs? With all the other stuff SB needs to work on? Eh, not so much.

Besides, pigs will fly before it happens.

It’s not just vst 2 and 32 bits… Others do crash too! Certain waves plugins crash if I combine them in the wrong way in metaplugin (not enough inserts/routing in cubase). Also, for me Steinberg’s own vst3 64 bit RND portico crashes (the whole project) if I double click a knob to reset it… And there’s more I can’t think of right now.

You should put your system specs in your sig. Might be relevant.

It’s not just vst 2 and 32 bits… Others do crash too! Certain waves plugins crash if I combine them in the wrong way in metaplugin (not enough inserts/routing in cubase). Also, for me Steinberg’s own vst3 64 bit RND portico crashes (the whole project) if I double click a knob to reset it… And there’s more I can’t think of right now.

Yup, even the big brands have plugins that crash, can you name the Waves plugin that crash? I’m interested in which vst crashes your system.

The RND had an update which fixed that (a few years old already), do you have the latest installed?

Hmmm… Good point mroekalea! I always had a feeling my portico was outdated; I just couldn’t find the download online… Until now… Since you mentioned it, I looked a little harder, and there it is. All of my waves plugs glitch with metaplugin, but that’s probably my fault, since you’re not really supposed to run them in metaplugin anyway.

Of course, you could say: “be normal, and updated, so then your plugins won’t crash…” But then, you wouldn’t be an artist. So, again: I think it’s not a matter of technical causes, or even methods of production here, but rather the greater philosophy of music production. Freedom nurtures creativity.

Anyway, I added some system specs to my signature. My old account got lost somehow…

Oh! Also: Maaaan that RND compressor sounds good! (but shhhhh!)

I’m finding Native Instruments Kontakt with multiple outputs makes my computer very unstable. I have to wonder if they really don’t want you using third party plugins because they want you to buy theirs instead. Cubase without any third party plugins is a lot more stable.

If it is possible to sandbox them, I would like this but I am not an engineer. Too bad they don’t comment on such matters in their own forum!

In some of my crash-cases steinberg claim it’s due to a faulty plugin.
Surely it must be possible to spec the VST standard such that if a plug crashes, the DAW keeps playing,.
PLS investigate / consider

1 Like

+1 to sandboxed VSTs

1 Like

+1 to sandboxed VSTs