SATB Question

I just downloaded dorico elements and I am trying to learn my way around it by doing some simple exercises. One thing I wanted to do was write a short chorale piece. I can start a four-part choir under ensembles->singers->four-part choir, but then it gives me four staves. I would like it to have both the soprano and alto in one treble staff and tenor and bass in a separate bass staff. It looks like I may be able to do this using multiple voices but I am a little confused on what kind of players to select etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Use a single player called “Choir reduction ,” which you can find from the list.

You may already be doing this, but I strongly recommend watching and reading some introductory materials first. The YouTube videos and the First Steps guide particularly.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions here, even if you feel they’re too basic.

1 Like

Thank you! I have watched the introductory videos but I should probably do some more reading as well.

So to clarify would I use solo player or section player? I found the choir reduction under both labels and I am not sure from the descriptions of the players which I should choose in this case…

Then it looks like it would be as simple as using one upstem and one downstem voice on each staff. Thanks again!

In this case, you can use whichever one you want I think.

1 Like

Sorry forgot about that bit - what Dan said.

When it comes to voices it is good practice to think about how many singers you have as being “solo” or “section”. “Section” players allow for divisi, “solo” players allow for instrument changes…

1 Like

Great, thanks again everyone!