Save 16 drum tracks (names, routings and all)? and reimport?

I am working on a project where the drummer will be overdubbing into existing projects. For each song, he will have the exact same microphone/input setup - 16 tracks and 16 microphones.

Anyway, on the 1st project/song, all of the tracks are named… they are all routed to the correct input channels, etc. How do I now copy all 16 tracks into the next song so it is immediately ready to record drums as well?

I had thought track presets would remember track names and routings, but I cannot seem to get it to work. Am I going to have to manually retype the track names into every single track for every single song? - and then reroute all of the input channels to each track? Surely there is an automated way of doing this and I am just not doing something correctly…

Thanks!
Todd

Templates.

But templates reload the entire project… and all of these projects are already full of music and midi. The drummer is just overdubbing into these projects. How do I load a template of the 16 drum tracks with names/routings/track notepad/etc into the other projects?

Ah… sorry didn’t read your post correctly

I really cannot find a way to do this. It’s a good thing I found out about this ahead of time - so that I can manually copy everything over before the drummer gets here. If I had waited until the drummer arrived, he would have to sit and wait for me to enter things for every single song - on the clock. When you are paying someone, or being paid per hour, this is a bit frustrating…

We also saved detailed information in the track notepad for each track (the exact mic model, mic placement position, etc). I guess all of that information will also have to be retyped for every single track, in every project for this entire album.

If you have 6.5, couldn’t you just put these 16 tracks into a folder and use the comping system to get new lanes on the existing drum tracks? That way you keep all notes and names.

I do have 6.5. How would the comping system help? I have 12 projects/songs that were all built with MIDI triggering Kontakt for drum samples. Now we are replacing the sampled drums with real drums… so there are no pre-existing drum tracks. I am overdubbing a drummer into projects to replace the simple MIDI sequenced drums that exist.

Right now, it looks like I will have to repeat the following process 12 times… One time for each of the 12 projects:

1. create 16 mono tracks
  2. create a drum folder track
  3. drag the 16 tracks into the drum folder track
  4. retype all of the track names into each track
  5. retype all of the microphone model & position information into the track notepad for each track
  6. reassign the input channels to each track
  7. reassign the output channels to each track

Ah, new information. No, in that case a template would have helped before starting recording on the first song, but now I guess you are indeed left to the scheme you wrote down…

EDIT: Step 5 though seems a bit unnecessary; you could either use the project notepad to put in that info (and paste 11 times), or use a simple external text file.

I think it’s time for a new “FEATURE REQUEST”.

Steinberg, please consider expanding the “track preset” capability to include ALL elements of a track. Imagine when saving track presets if we could choose from a list which elements are saved. For example (input buss, output buss, input level, phase, insert FX, send FX, panning, fader level, inspector information, track notepad, etc, etc, etc). Also, there could be an option/check box to instantly check all of the elements at once. If all were checked at once, it would be the equivilant of “clone track” (copying EVERYTHING), except it’s done through track presets.

This would save me a ton of work - and I imagine it would do the same for many other people with the same issue.

Messages crossed - I edited my previous post with this:
Step 5 though seems a bit unnecessary; you could either use the project notepad to put in that info (and paste 11 times), or use a simple external text file.

It would be much simpler to have it in the track notepad - because it involves information specific to that particular track.

Ultimately, to copy all of this information, I will use Windows notepad. I will copy all of the information out of Cubase into Windows Notepad with CTRL+C, and then paste it all back into each of the 12 projects with CTRL+V.

Right now, it looks like I will have to repeat the following process 12 times… One time for each of the 12 projects:

1. create 16 mono tracks
  2. create a drum folder track
  3. drag the 16 tracks into the drum folder track
  4. retype all of the track names into each track
  5. retype all of the microphone model & position information into the track notepad for each track
  6. reassign the input channels to each track
  7. reassign the output channels to each track
  1. select all drum tracks
  2. delete all events on the drum tracks
  3. save them into a track archive, including drum groups + fx channels (good idea to use some exclusively for drums)
  4. import that track archive (.xml) into as many projects as you like

All channel settings, plugins, output routing, names will be there!
You should save your drum input channels in VST connections anyway. When you load them before you import the track archive into the new project there is a chance that Cubase will remember the settings (but it behaves randomly in this regard for whatever reason). A time saver is to have the drum inputs in exact order of the drum tracks and use auto routing by holding shift while you set the input for the first drum channel. (Or maybe it’s shift + ctrl, shift + alt or only alt - my hands do it all alone so I don’t know consciously :wink: )