Save template without content?

Why is there no way to save user templates without content. It would be so easy for the Steinberg to include the possibility, and I cannot understand why they don´t. It is such a drag to delete a lot of music files everytime you want to use the template.
Maybe I have missed something, please enlighten me in such case…! This problem has been there since donkey´s years. It´s just silly that nothing is done about it!

1 Like

Hi,

It’s very easy to remove the whole project content.

• Ctrl/Cmd+A (Select All)
  • Delete
  • Remove Media from the Pool
    Done.

You can make a Macro, if you need to do this often.

Hi and thanks for answering! BUT If I have projekt A with recorded audio etc and saves this as a template B and then opens B and erase the audio content, doesnt the content in A also get erased?

And anyway doesn´t it seem to be very uneconomic as far as disc space goes to save all the content with the template?

Hi,

Once you Empty the Pool’s Trash, make sure, you don click the Erase button, but you click the Remove from Pool button instead.

If you want to be 100% sure, you can first make the backup of the A project. Then you can make the template from the backup, to make sure, the source A project is untouched.

Thanks I can see those possibilities, but wouldn´t it be so much easier if Steinberg had just put in a little tick-box for “saving without media” or something like that! :-)!

1 Like

Yes. 7- 8 years asking for such a checkbox

4 Likes

Hello from December 16, 2023!

1 Like

This issue has tripped me up as well. Are there use cases where people need a template with audio?

2 Likes

Martin, this is a work around and I would argue that while it seems ‘easy’, it is actually more problematic.

Notice please that in your solution leaves references to those files in the Trash and the Trash can no longer be emptied in a normal fashion. Also, any new template that is created will include refs to these trashed files but also the refs to any additional trashed files you created using this “blank” project so after a few times creating a ‘blank’ project, you will have hundreds and hundreds of refs to audio in many other projects all in the ‘Trash’.

Also, you did not answer this question…

A with recorded audio etc and saves this as a template B and then opens B and erase the audio content, doesn’t the content in A also get erased?

Yes, it does, and again if you follow Martin’s suggestion then you are left with references to files from backwards in time and you can never just ‘empty trash’ in a project ever again unless of course you futz around like we all do to get a clean template project ready to go.

Please just implement a one-click method of creating a project template that has no references to audio at all. Not in the pool and not in the trash. None.