Save template without media - please please

Sitting here with a client waiting on me trying to make a template from one of the other songs in their project. For safety I need to back up the project … this has taken 6 minutes. Next I need to open that project… takes minutes
Select all, delete all, empty pool. Save as template

PLEASE give us the option to save templates and archive tracks without including the associated media…

This is so simple but causes me so much lost time

3 Likes

SRLSY OMG YES ITS CRUTIAL .

it is foundational to the CUBASE EXPERIENCE

you zoinc AROUND with some poopies and you get it where you want it and then you WANT TO USE THAT AL KTHE TIMNE, but you CANT becaue it take ALL THIS jumping around and file mgmy bs.'f’asfdl;gihasdou;fhadjksfhjlasdf]

Steinberg. DO THIS RIGHT PLZ.

we go way back friend. plz.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more (sadly, I “have 0 vote left”…), as I often stumbled on such a situation in which I wanted to preserve only but all the project settings, without any data : not doable, unless loading again the template just created and erase everything in it. AFAIK, “template” and “model” or “pattern” are more or less synonyms, IOW, a basic frame on which to build something.

The present situation (still in 13.0.20) is that, in the so called “template”, all the existing data is also saved, which is in contradiction with the concept. From which, when creating a new project B, you get the MIDI parts previously existing in the project A from which the template is derived. And we also have its audio events, these having remain in the project A audio folder. Not good : from the start, we are already in a dubious situation in which audio events will exist in two different locations. What’s the logic in this, and what happens if the project A is mistakenly deleted ?

OTOH, we can imagine template creations which would contain basic MIDI frame (rhythm stuff immediatly comes to mind). As MIDI data is saved in the project file itself, it wouldn’t do harm to be able to keep it. So, I suggest the following :

1. A template should never have audio events remaining, simply to avoid any accident that could happen from audio events being dispatched in different locations.

2. The File > Save as Template window could have the added option shown below :

C13_SaveAsTemplateMockup

Just my two cents on the subject…

1 Like

yes, possibly with a checkbox “with/without data”

Close… but not just ‘Keep Midi Parts’
‘Save template without Media’ to cover Midi and Audio parts not being included

1 Like

I guess I’m not the only one who’s mind is boggled by the lack of these options.
Personally I have MIDI parts in my templates, so I would appreciate an option to exclude either audio, MIDI or both.

Yes. I also like your ‘keep midi parts’ idea, but ideally they’d flesh it out even more.

For my use case its Audio I’m worried bout. I might do a full band setup (20 mics on drums, bass, guitars, vocals with output configurations for monitoring) After we get the first song setup and done its onto song 2… but then I’m faced with the dilemma of how to get to the next song in the same format and make sure nothing happens to the audio from song 1

In this case I don’t don’t bother with templates. I use the Archive Project to create a 1:1 copy and then manually delete the audio files from tracks and from the pool.

I made a template that has all my busses with inserts and sends. I deleted all the midi and audio tracks, then emptied the media pool. I’ve started 12 projects this way with no issue.

Yes but thats exactly all of the workarounds and steps we want to avoid. Its time consuming and dangerous in terms of unintentionally deleting audio files from the pool which may have a connection somewhere else on a hard drive. It also takes time.
It also for me not about making a template that will work for everything. I work on different things every day that need different setups that need to be then carried onward to the next song - the clock is ticking in these cases.
Think of an orchestra setup - the inputs outputs, monitoring sends, panning etc.
Band setups - etc

Well that’s exactly why I use the Archive function as it copies any audio files over to the new location and eliminates that risk.

I too work on a variety of different audio related jobs. I have a handful of templates that provide me a good starting point. They have I/O’s setup as well as well as a large number of group channels for different purposes, FX channels with preloaded inserts, some utility tracks, and so on.
What’s left to add are the tracks I’m actually recording on. I try and use Track Archives as much as I can for this. Track Archives work really well if all routing options are the same as the project they were saved from. For example, I can add a two mic setup for acoustic guitar in seconds complete with inserts, EQ settings, routing, send destinations…

All that said, I think it would only make sense to be able to save a template without any media. I’d probably change my workflow somewhat if that was an option.