saving a CUBASE song with all external samples.. POSSIBLE???

Hello there…

We’re 2 guys working together…

We are using

Imac (the newest)
Hard drive 1 with all songs connected via THUNDERBOLT…
Hard drive 2 with all KONTAKT samples connected via USB3…
Cubase 6.5 (sometimes 7)
Apollo soundcard…

This is all dandy and working fine, but some times we need to split up and work on different computers…
I have gotten a server setup so we can reach the hard drive with all the songs, but it seems a little slow if it has to reach the samples also hence these questions…

*Is there an easy way to save a Cubase song (including all samples from external software like kontakt)???
I know you can save each kontakt but we’re using a bunch of them and i would like an easy way…

*Another solution is maybe to have another disk with the original Hard drive 2 cloned to and the exact same name… That would work right???

What I am looking for is a solution where i dont have to point Kontakt to where the samples are placed…

Your thoughts are appreciated…

Thanks

The short answer it no. The reason being that the Cubase project file doesn’t save any audio, just pointers to it.

Furthermore, the samples are handled by the Kontakt plug-in. Not by Cubase. You need to have copies of all the libraries you use installed on each of the computers you use. You can move a drive between them, but then you can only ose them on one computer at a time.

The more identical your set-ups are (input/output assignments, sample libraries, etc), the easier it is to move projects between them. If you make sure that your set-ups are absolutely identical, the process should be seamless. You’ll still need to remember to bring any newly recorded audio files across though.

Copying commercial sample libraries is a bit trickier because of copyright issues. Some vendors may give you the right to use them on multiple systems. However, most require you to purchase a separate license for each computer. This is also the reason why it is impossible for Steinberg to implement the capability to include the samples in the project file. This would violate copyright law.