Saving defaults doesn't work?

Hi,
I’m confused by the ‘save to defaults’ feature.
For example, every time I create a new score, I have to go to Layout Options and remove the 6 spaces from the first system. And every time I click ‘apply’ to make the change and the save to defaults, in the vain hope I won’t have to do that again!
Is there something I’m missing please?

Thanks
Darren

What spaces are those?

The spaces that create an indented first system

I wonder whether something has changed here. I noticed yesterday that I had to change this option on a new document (xml import), while I didn’t use this option for months if not years…

In Layout Options, saving as default works per layout type – so saving settings for a full score layout updates the defaults for scores, likewise saving settings for a part layout updates the defaults for parts (or at least that’s the intention).

Parts are indented on the first system but scores aren’t in the factory defaults, I believe.

It’s a long time since I changed these settings.

I think you have to press Apply before you try and Save as Default.

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue for a while. “Save as Default” in Layout Options don’t actually save as default.

Janus, I’ve tried your suggestion of pressing “apply” before “save as default” and it still doesn’t work. Did you ever manage to find a consistent solution?

I have similar problem.
I have customized chord symbols and set my segno symbol to be larger, but every time I have to write chords I have to go back into engraving options and change it back to my preferred choices.
I always make sure that, when I “save as default” that I have globally turned on in the properties. And I press Apply before I press “save as default”.
What is the point of the “Save as default” option if the changes you make, don’t apply in a new document?
And don’t come here and tell me, that I can just press “reset to saved defaults”. That means that every time I open a new document, I would have to open Engraving-, Notation-, Play-, and Layout options to get my preferred choice of options to work with. I thought your focus in this software was to make it faster to work with sheet music?

If you just wanted to vent, that’s fine. But if you want any useful suggestions, you will have to be more specific about the changes you want to preserve (in addition to the Segno sign).

Are you starting from a template document that you saved? That will keep its own Engraving Options.