Saving Presets

Following on from a couple of posts in an issues thread (not being able to save presets), I thought I had better ask, in case I am missing something in Cubase 7.5 (I’m coming from a very stable 5.5 setup)

I can’t seem to find a way to save presets (Track, FX Chain, Plugin - pretty much any preset really) to somewhere other than the fixed folders under My Documents (e.g. C:\Users[USERNAME]\Documents\Steinberg\FX Chain Presets etc)

Surely there must be some way to save our presets to somewhere we choose? What on earth is the point of setting up locations in the Media Bay, if you can’t use them to save stuff? I set up some folders on my NAS drive and created ‘Location’ for them in Media Bay, but damned if I can choose them when saving presets!

I must be missing something?

:confused:

No That´s the Way Cubase saving preset work !
But if you want you can move the Windows “Documents” folder where you want.

But if you want you can move the Windows “Documents” folder where you want.

Ha! I tried to do this by using NTFS Junction but when using this (pointing to different drive) I can’t save presets AT ALL! Can’t create new folder in the dialog and can’t save - just flashes and have to hit cancel. I posted the same in the multitrack preset save issue where someone else is having a similar issue.

It is RIDICULOUS that an application such as Cubase with it’s high cost and reliance on FILES can’t allow provide the user with a common file dialog at minimum on save.

Shocking!

You can save your channel presets in the mixer view but Steinberg broke the ability to save instrument channel settings again in 7.5

just delete the “defaults” XML files in : User/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7-64
and you can see again all your preset in your new location

just delete the “defaults” XML files in : User/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 7-64
and you can see again all your preset in your new location

I can see my presets fine, but only if they are in the right place. FYI when my User profile folder was aliased using NTFS junction point (which works for every other program I’ve got installed!), saving presets completely shits the bed - I can’t save ANY preset of ANY kind period when using an NTFS junction point. See this thread here:-
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=55166 - tried removing Defaults.xml, RAMPresets.xml etc. No dice.

Here’s 2 simple basic ‘101’ use cases that I can’t seem to do:-

1. I’ve created a set of fx that I want to save as a chain - I want to save this to my ‘Studio’ mapped drive under S:\Studio\Cubase\Presets - Nope can’t do that!! Even if I add that path in ‘Define Locations’ in Media Bay!!! WTF??

2. To be able to load any of the presets already in the above folder, I have to have added it to Media Bay and scanned it.

The 2nd one isn’t quite as bad, but for people who organise their file system well it’s still a pain in the backside - I don’t need the bloat of the Media Bay - IMO Steinberg should provide an OPTION for people to disable / ignore the Media Bay and just use their own feckin filesystem. Sure I can see why Media Bay might be useful for people using loops - but that’s not all of us!!! And to be honest as an effective tagging / metadata tool, the Media Bay is a usability nightmare in any case.

Have you tried using “save selected channels” in the mixer?

the only way is : “my documents/vst3 preset” !
but you can move “my documents” Folder, right clic on “Documents” folder and choose the tab “Location” and move it where you want and it’s work !! I build 5 or 6 windows PC with this setting some have the “Documents” folder in G other in D other… ! and Mediabay is a powerful tool when you know how to use it !!!

Submitted my solution to this thread: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=55166