Scale (notehead size) in score and parts

Greetings! Does anyone know why if I’m changing the “scale” (i.e. the relative size) on notes in a score (using the Scale property in the Common group of Properties), those changes would not carry over to the parts? Is there a way to do this automatically?

In this particular case, I’m writing some extra instrumental parts for a common church hymn, and I’m inserting a couple cues and some optional notes. However, I’m not using the new (and wonderful) cue functionality in Dorico 1.2 because I have no need to write out the already-published choral parts, and therefore there are no other parts from which to source the cues. I’m also using small noteheads in places for optional notes (not contained in the published choral parts).

Here are some screenshots showing more detail.

The scale property, set to cue size while editing the notes in the score:
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 3.00.59 PM.png
An example from the score:

How the same passage appears in one of the corresponding parts:

Any suggestions on a better way to do this? Thanks!

––Dave

At the moment you have to repeat all changes in the properties in all layouts.

As of now, most (if not all) Properties are layout-independent. However, the team has stated that they will look into refining the this behavior, as this makes a whole lot of sense for some properties but not much for others, as you’ve noticed.

Yes, my suggestion is that anything that needs to be altered with the Properties panel should be altered in the layout on which you want the alteration, at least for now. May be extra work, but it’s safer this way.

Agree with @daveisacomposer that having done it once in the score, having to reapply the cue-sized property for optional notes in the individual parts could be a bit of a bore. Fortunately as a beginner on trial day 1 it’s only a few notes at this stage. Maybe there’s a better way of doing optional notes?

Thanks, everyone. I’ll look forward to the refined options in the future. :slight_smile:

Hello all
I’m with this topic! Adjusting properties of an instrument / player should be directly imprinted into the PART otherwise much time needs to be invested. I don’t see why specifically this should not automatically work !? If there’s any workaround, I’d love to learn about … best- michal

1 Like

If you want to (e.g.) scale stuff in all layouts, you need to set the Set Local Properties switch (top right edge of the properties panel) to Global. If you want to (e.g.) scale stuff in just the layout in front of you, you need to set the Set Local Properties switch to Local.

Note that the switch must be set correctly before you perform the scaling (or whatever property action it is), and that globally set properties will show with bold text and locally set properties will show with regular text. There are also filters for displaying properties that are set locally or globally.

This is not a workaround - it’s what the feature is designed to do.

If you perform some action locally but then realise you meant it to be made globally, you can select the item and go Edit > Propagate Properties.

3 Likes

eh - ok this wasn’t really clear - bit thanks !

This functionality didn’t exist in 2018. It really pays to check the dates on the threads you’re replying to, as Dorico has grown a great deal in its short life.

For that matter, there’s now dedicated Cue functionality. If you’re aiming to achieve what Dave was going for in December 2017, use Shift-U rather than manually copying, pasting and scaling.

1 Like

no no - this is all about things like little notehead inside multiphonic chord or hidden notes over long tremollo phrase etc … it is all solved with this “global” option … happy for this community - thanks !

2 Likes