Scaling barlines

I am having trouble making single and double barlines scale along with the other objects when a staff is reduced in size. I have created a musical example at 60% staff size in Flow 2 using Edit>Staff Size to be placed in a Frame as a footnote example in Flow 1, which is at 100%. The barlines remain the same thickness and distance from each other in both flows. While I have found the settings to change barline appearance project-wide, I can’t find one to give each flow its own barline settings, or one to make barlines as a class relative to staff size rather than an absolute value. Any help would be appreciated.

Barlines won’t scale when you scale the size of an individual staff down, John. This is because very often barlines need to join staves of different sizes, for example when an ossia staff (which is of course normally smaller than the main staff to which it belongs) is joined to the main staff by barlines at the start and/or end.

However, rather than scaling the individual staff, you can instead change the global staff size for your second flow, which will then make the barlines scale proportionally as you’re looking for: to do this, select the first note or rest in your musical example flow, and in Engrave mode add a system break (shortcut Shift+S). With the system break’s signpost selected, open the Properties panel at the bottom of the window and you’ll find the ‘Space size’ property: change that, and everything, including the barlines, will scale.

That did the trick. Thank you very much for your help, Daniel.

Unfortunately, I now have a second problem, which may be a matter of my not understanding Frames as I should. The example is scaled to .04" in Flow 2, but displays at .069" in the Music Frame in Flow 1. How do I cause it to display in Flow 1 as in Flow 2?

I’m struggling a bit to visualise what you’re after (it may be simplest if you attach the project so I can see it with my own eyes), but is the issue that you now don’t want to see Flow 2, which is a music example, shown at full size following Flow 1, when it’s already showing in its own frame in a footnote in Flow 1? If so, in Engrave mode, edit the ‘Default’ master page pair, and using the ‘Flows’ filter in the top left-hand corner of the music frame, un-tick flow 2 so that only flow 1 is included in the main music frame chain. Now when you leave the editor (after confirming your changes) you’ll see that flow 2 no longer follows flow 1 in the main frame chain, so it’s only shown at its reduced size in the extra frame as a footnote for flow 1.

Thanks for your patience, Daniel. You do understand exactly what I want: musical examples in a smaller staff size appropriate for the footnotes that appear at the bottom of each page. My learning style being intuitive, I had guessed that the way to do that was to create a new flow for each musical example and have each flow appear in the Music Frames that I draw at the bottom of each page along with the accompanying text in Text Frames. Your explanation makes it clear, however, that I am now in unknown territory, that it is a bit more complicated than that and that I need a real understanding of how Music Frames link to each other etc. by doing the appropriate reading. Then I will be able to apply your directions to get what I want.

Possibly, you don’t want music frames that are linked together at all. You can create a frame and then specify which flow(s) to display in it (and also which player(s), if you want - that’s how “parts” work). That way you can include the same flow several times in the document, with a different staff size each time, by attaching a system break to the first note and setting the size property.

I think you’re going along the right lines: the main music frame that’s part of the default master page shows the whole piece, and then extra music frames that you draw onto individual pages (i.e. not present in the master page) contain the music. However, the music that appears in these extra music frames will by default appear at the same size as the music in the main music frame. To scale it down, the best way to do that is add a system break in the music example at the beginning of the system, and change its space size via Properties.

If you want me to take a look at your project to make sure you’re going about it the right way, I’d be happy to. You can attach it here or you can email it to me.

Thank you again, Daniel and Rob. Success. The system break and space sizing in Properties worked as well for the musical example in the Music Frame as in its origin as Flow 2. And thus it appears that I don’t need to reduce the staff size in Flow 2, 3, 4, etc. at all but simply where they are inserted as Music Frames. But I still have no understanding of frames and their linking etc., which needs to be my next order of business.

John, the basic intro to music frames is that if you draw a music frame as part of a master page, it has the prefix M; if you draw it on the page directly, it has the prefix L (layout). Once you draw the frame out, you can select which flows and players it should contain.

If you set the first dropdown to match another (such as LB to match another LB, etc), they’re part of a chain.

Check out page 55 and following here.