Scarlett i818 and iOS 9.2

I am using the Scarlet i818 with an Air2 and since updating to iOS 9.2, I am experiencing a delay/latency issue when attempting to record into Cubasis and other DAWs. I have been onto Focusrite and they are aware of the problem but say it up to Apple to fix. Ironically Garageband works fine but who wants to use that? I get the same delay on some other apps including some synth and drum apps while other synth apps work fine.

When I play back a recording, the audio is delayed and therefore out of time with the track itself.

The problem is also when trying to record live with this setup. The delay makes it almost impossible.

Given that Garageband works perfectly well, I wondered if anyone could throw some light on this as it seems to be linked to the USB conectivity and only affecting some Apps but not Apple’s. Unfortunately Cubasis is one of them.

I have upgraded to iOS 9.2.1 but it’s still the same.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Hi there, you are not alone in experiencing issues with audio interfaces including the Focusrite 18i8 that use the Camera connection kit to connect USB devices. I also own a 18i8 and experienced horrendous instability and latency issues under iOS 9.2 that made using the device unworkable. I have had a similar conversation with Focusrite who were sympathetic but had to refer the issue to APPLE for resolution. Interim I have had to revert my IPad Pro back to version 9.1 and everything is now running smoothly. Let’s hope 9.3 when it rears its head will resolve the problems. APPLE however don’t seem to care a shit about the impact their iOS updates have on musicians using the IPad for serious music otherwise it would have been resolved by now. Take care Trevor

Hi,
Sadly Same problem here with scarlett 18i8, workaround that i found is to open auria first , arm a track , keep it in background open then i open cubasis. That works for me.

Thanks for the workaround! :sunglasses:

Best
RG

Hi Mogpot, Hi Samer,

Please provide me with the Focusrite support contacts in order to exchange about the topic and/or providing them with promo codes to further evaluate the issue at their end.

Thanks
Lars

Hi Samer, I have just tried the workaround and it seems to work which is odd but good news so thanks. The other way that I have found works is to not use the i818 as the audio output. If I use the iPad’s headphone socket as the audio out, it also works fine on all apps which suggests the problem is linked to the audio out of the i818 rather than the input.

Lars, I have been speaking to several people within the support dept at Focusrite. I will send you the contacts and case number in a PM.

Have sent a note to the Focusrite contact provided, to support them with a promo code to evaluate the issue.

Thanks
Lars

Hi Samer,

Focusrite has replied to me that they are aware of some issues with various audio interfaces since the iOS 9.2 update, reported by them to Apple for investigation.

Best,
Lars

A temporary solution for this issue has been posted on the Audiobus forum and it works.

Once you have loaded an app, plug and unplug anything into the headphone socket (that fits of course) and it resets the iOS audio routing system (apparently) and clears the latency.

You have to do it each time you load a new app and get the latency problem but it takes no time at all and works every time.

Not ideal but at least it makes the i818 workable again.

Hi Esseygooner,

thanks a bunch for the the update! :sunglasses:

Best
RG

Hi,

Please test it with ios 9.3 :wink:

Thanks

Sadly no change with iOS9.3. Good old Apple, ignoring irritating problems. It’s obviously not high on their agenda.

Thankfully the headphone socket (in/out)still does the trick.