Score editor: automatic repeat sections detection

Hi,
In order to speed up the workflow when creating score from midi tracks, it would be very usefull to have an automatic repeat sections detection mechanism:
For exemple: let’s say a midi track with a pattern reapeted 10 times. You select the track, go to score, your pattern appears only one time but with the repeat bars at the beginning and at the end and a “x10” on top of the end one.
Something optional of course and configurable.

To let you better understand the benefits of such feature, more details:
When I write music or work on an arrangement that I will have to play live with some other musicians, I normally create a full midi version to generate the scores. (If one instrument has been recorded as audio, I record a midi version by playing it on a midi piano. For the vsti, I can duplicate the midi tracks if necessary). I do some cleaning (quantification,…) on this full midi arrangement, then go to score to generate a conductor and individual scores for each musician. So far, it’s efficient and quick. But if a musician as to play 10 times the same pattern, he will get a long score with 10 times the same thing written: annoying… So I can do more cleaning on the midi tracks, and play with bar signs, hiding stuff to simplify the scores, but to get a good result is quite tricky and most of the time, I have to break the consistency between the original arrangement and the “score” arrangement. Why is it important to keep that consistency? If i have to modify something in my arrangement (which is often the case), to update the scores can become a nightmare if I don’t have that consistency. Just an exemple: when you change a bar type for one instrument, the change is done for all instruments, but they are not necessarly having repeats at the same time. So when you create a repeat section on one instrument score, all the other scores become wrong!
That’s why this feature would be more than helpfull, a real time saving option.

1 Like

THIS

Score editor is great but some basic stuff seems to have been overlooked. Am sure they must be easy fixes for Steinberg.

In Cubase repeats are global, so in order to have different repeat sections in various parts, one would have to manually insert graphical elements, and then hide the relevant measures.

So the following feature has been provided – Rhythmic Notation

Check out this feature in the manual:

And that entire section of the manual, which details other aspects

Thanks Steve
That’s a workaround, better than nothing!
Repeat bar signs are usefull for rhythmic notation, when you repeat a pattern which will be one or two bars long. But repeat sections for regular instruments can be much longer and the problem with repeat bar signs will be: Where does it start? So that’s not really adpated to regular instruments and that solution is not good enough for me…
“one would have to manually insert graphical elements, and then hide the relevant measures.”: That would be better. Fake repeat signs you could add where you want. A first step to an automated mechanism but already usefull!

2 Likes

Actually they don’t have to be fake! I said fake because you could activate the Arranger Mode for repeats to playback. but the entire piece would have to follow.

Yes, they have to be fake when repeat sections are not the same for all instruments (ie. tracks)

Yes… By fake I mean repeats not used for playback, aka graphic.