Score Editor Enhancements

Hi,

I use the Cubase 8 score editor to create lead sheets for pop songs. The output consists of a melody line, chord symbols, and lyrics – one score per Cubase project. Overall, I REALLY like the score editor; it beats the pants off other DAWs and Finale Print.

Here are some things I’d like see in a future release.

o Make shareable style sheets that incorporate a score’s notation and font settings. Currently, I have to re-create custom fonts per for every project/score.

o Create an option to show key signature on first staff only. Currently, I need to hide all but the first symbol manually.

o Allow text for section markers or other rehearsal marks to lock to a particular measure, the way lyric text locks to notes.

o Smart page numbers. Currently I have to place them individually.

o Sync score editor playback to the Arranger Chain. Suppose I’m looking at my score in the score editor. I have an active Arranger chain in the project window, yet playback ignores the Arranger chain and plays sequentially, straight through the composition. If you can’t do this, at least make it so that playback in the score editor follows form makers (DS al Signe, etc). This is really important to me because I don’t actually read music yet I want to verify that my notation makes sense to session musicians.**

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Dan W
SF

(**) I’m an experienced tech writer and longtime Cubase user. I think you’d do well to create tutorials for people like me (there are a lot of us) – novices who just want to create decent lead sheets. In general, while your doc is thorough, it’d benefit from some process-based topics or appendixes. I have lots to say about this, contact me if you like.

Score Settings>Project>Font Settings: Attribute Sets
Create one simply by setting up the font and and font options, give it a name and hit Store.

Create an option to show key signature on first staff only. Currently, I need to hide all but the first symbol manually.

Good idea.

Allow text for section markers or other rehearsal marks to lock to a particular measure, the way lyric text locks to notes.

Scores menu>Advanced Layout>Display Markers
Then add markers to the project.

Smart page numbers. Currently I have to place them individually.

Use Page Text, and the variable %p to create page numbers.

Sync score editor playback to the Arranger Chain. Suppose I’m looking at my score in the score editor. I have an active Arranger chain in the project window, yet playback ignores the Arranger chain and plays sequentially, straight through the composition. If you can’t do this, at least make it so that playback in the score editor follows form makers (DS al Signe, etc). This is really important to me because I don’t actually read music yet I want to verify that my notation makes sense to session musicians.**

Sounds like the Project Arranger track is not activated, so activate it. Or Activate the Score Arranger Mode and the Form Symbols you create in the project layer will play back.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

You too! :wink:

Dan W
SF

(**) I’m an experienced tech writer and longtime Cubase user. I think you’d do well to create tutorials for people like me (there are a lot of us) – novices who just want to create decent lead sheets. In general, while your doc is thorough, it’d benefit from some process-based topics or appendixes. I have lots to say about this, contact me if you like.

Video tutorials are great for those who like them, the Operation Manual does have a lot of useful info too though, and might be worth a perusal! :smiley:

Thanks very much for the tips. I’ll try them!

Cheers,

DW

Hi again,

I’m revisiting the Score Editor after a long break. I have one outstanding question: is it possible to share layouts between different Cubase projects? I have completed lead sheet that I’d like to save as a template to propagate all layout elements to another project/song. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

DW/SF

A couple of possibilities there :wink:

1. Taking your source project as a starting point, delete the actual Parts… just don’t delete the Tracks themselves… then Save as a Template (the Layout(s) will still be intact when you re-open the Template, and create new Parts on those existing empty tracks (as will your fonts etc. :wink: )
  2. You can just Export a current Layout (Score Settings>Layout pane>Functions)

Many thanks, I’ll give these suggestions a try!

DW/SF