Score Editor MIDI Input-Chords?

Hi,

Is it possible to highlight a chord in the Score Editor and activate MIDI input and the pitch parameter and replace that chord with a different one? I can’t get it to work. It only edits notes inside the chord. Ideas??

Thanks,
Bane

Did you try erasing the chord, first? Try it in the Key Editor?

Yes, but the only way this will work is if I enable the step input rather than the MIDI input. Maybe not built to change chords?

This is what is strange. I can highlight the chord in the key editor, and it works perfectly. Do the exact same thing in the Score Editor: FAIL.

Also, the operation manual explains how to change note length in the score editor using the extended toolbar:

1. Select the notes you want to change.
  2. Hold down [Ctrl]/[Command] and click on one of the
    note icons on the extended toolbar.
    All the selected notes are now given the length of the clicked note.

Doesn’t work! Note values stay the same! Is it that my Score Editor is a little jacked up or I’m too ignorant to operate it?

I was looking at the manual last night re: entering chords in score and you have to hold down a modifier key, Shift IIRC, to stay on the same step.

I’d try what you’re doing that failed in a new, blank project to see if it’s something about that particular one is corrupt in some way.

Don’t highlight the entire chord… just highlight the lowest note, then MIDI input the notes of the replacement chord one at a time, from lowest to highest. (I think it is simply that the graphics of the Score Editor are a bit sluggish in comparison to the Key Editor).
But, as you have already remarked, you can only change existing notes… you cannot add to the chord.

Also, the operation manual explains how to change note length in the score editor using the extended toolbar:

1. Select the notes you want to change.
  1. Hold down [Ctrl]/[Command] and click on one of the
    note icons on the extended toolbar.
    All the selected notes are now given the length of the clicked note.

Doesn’t work! Note values stay the same! Is it that my Score Editor is a little jacked up or I’m too ignorant to operate it?

This should indeed be working. Are you certain you are following the recipe correctly?

Hi guys,

I have started a blank project, trying to determine if it would accept MIDI input for entire chords. No luck. :cry: Still, the key editor again worked flawlessly?!

Yes, I am able to change the chord one note at a time. That’s a little tedious though. But this confirms my suspicions that I’m not the only one out there not able to edit the entire chord through the score.

As far as editing note length in the score using the extended toolbar, where can I change the ctrl KC in the Key commands window. I’m scrolling through it now, maybe SET INSERT LENGTH? I’ll play with it when I have a little more time. The only reason I’m suggesting that my Score Editor may be messed up, is because about every other time I close it, a warning window pops up, prompting me to save my current project under another name. So, every time I want to navigate back to the project window, I must instead minimize the score. I already trashed prefs. Any thoughts on any of this?

No, unfortunately this cannot be changed (and, think about it :wink:… it isn’t really a “Key Command” at all, is it?.. It is just a combination of modifier keys while clicking with the mouse. The place where some of these can be changed is in Preferences>Editing>Tool Modifiers, but there is no option for this particular function.

As regards the error message, does this happen with all Projects, or just the one (or at least, all Projects that derive from the same template)?

You say you have already trashed Prefs (which is a good move :wink: ), but are there any Prefs folders from earlier versions of Cubase still present (because they will get re-imported when building new Prefs, rather than building from scratch)?

Thanks for writing,

Now that I do think about it, you are correct. Not exactly a key command.

The error message appears with every project with instrument tracks that I work with in the Score Editor. This has been happening about 5 months now (I start a new project every couple weeks). Normally, when using instrument tracks, I don’t use the included templates, as I have my own presets that I will eventually use to make my own template. This is my first Cubase.

I contacted the support team about this issue, a few months ago and they advised me to trash my prefs, which I have done pretty near 10 times now. I explained that the problem persists, so they offered to do a remote support session. I declined, because I really didn’t want to be on the phone for several hours. Could Vista be the problem? I installed CE5 on my brother’s XP, no problem. If you have any more thoughts on this, don’t hesitate to let me know. :wink: