Score Editor : Piano score with melody staff on top

Hi all.

A typical piano score with a melody has 3 staffs.

The upper staff with a treble cleff has the melody.

Then the 2 lower staffs, joined together have the left and right hand of the piano.

Surely this must be possible to do in the Cubase score editor.
But I have not found a way.

I have 2 midi tracks.

1 track with the melody.
And 1 track with the piano.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

In the Score Editor, a MIDI track’s staff can be displayed as either a single staff or as a double staff, e.g. for piano (Score Settings>Staff>Polyphonic).
Additionally, just like in the MIDI Key Editor, you can open several MIDI tracks at once in the Score Editor, and they will appear in the same order as in the Project window (allowing orchestral scores, for example).
So…
Create two MIDI tracks (or Instrument tracks)… one for the melody, and the other for the piano. Select the Parts on both MIDI tracks and open them in the Score Editor (They will, initially, each be “single staff”).
Click on the Piano staff, to select it.
Which version of Cubase do you have? Only the full version has the Advanced Score Editor, with its page Mode (for proper printing etc.). The next step depends upon which version you have…
If you don’t have the full version of Cubase, having selected the Piano staff, go to MIDI Menu>Scores>Staff Settings, and change “Staff Mode” from “Single” to “Split”. You now have the Piano grand staff.
If you do have the full version of Cubase, go to Scores Menu>Settings>Staff>Polyphonic, set the Staff Mode to either “Split” or “Polyphonic” (this latter one is more complex, and you really need to consult the manual, to learn how to use that :wink: ). Additionally, with the full version of Cubase, you can then click on the Layout tab, and create brackets for the piano’s grand staff.

But, please, do read the manual :wink:.

Hello vic_france.
You have supplied a good indicator of what to do to set up a grand staff and a vocal line. It’s disappointing that the enquirer didn’t bother to acknowledge your efforts. It took me a long time to pick up a working knowledge about Cubase Score. Polyphonic voicing was a slow trudge. And it took years to find how retrospectively to set the melisma style throughout a given 7.5 project to solid.
I don’t know if there is a secret to lyrics alignment which remains undiscovered. Update all doesn’t work at all well for me. When 2 or more vocal staffs are involved, I usually have to use the “Layout” hand with the pointy finger and make manual adjustments. If there were a way to hide the bar-lines in the text area(s) between the staffs that would help, but I haven’t so far found a way to do that. Having made these complaints, I find the Cubase Score editor very suitable for my simple needs - SATB and very occasionally a piano grand staff. “Printing” to Bullzip PDF printer allows others to proof-read and locate my mistakes.

(I’m guessing that you are using Cubase 7(.5?), being in the “Older Cubase versions” forum (not that this particular function has changed since then :wink: ) )…
You can indeed break the barlines between staves, just by clicking on one of them (between the staves) with the Eraser tool (tip… try to point the top-left of the tool on the barline… can be a bit “fiddly”). Have to do this for each desired break in each grand staff (ok, that’s maybe twenty seconds of your life you’ll never get back :stuck_out_tongue: ), but, this way does allow for total flexibility :wink:.
Also, use the Glue tool on a barline in a staff, to re-join it back to the staff below it :wink:

(btw, thank you for thanking me :slight_smile: )

Hello Vic_France.

Thanks for your answer.
Sorry about the delay in replying. Yes, it’s 7.5 I have.
I use mainly MIDI and score so the audio advances of anything later is pretty irrelevant.
I was interested at the news of a Steinberg Score program, but it’s completely separate from Cubase.

I got the erase-between-staves to work as you suggested by clicking on the line between the staves with the top left corner of the eraser tool.

This action unfortunately deleted or hid that particular bar line on the top stave.
As happens often with this sort of activity, an Undo did not reverse the removal, and no Hide event was visible in the list editor for that position in the sequence.
I wasn’t able to reliably get it back using the glue tool.
I did manage to get two occurrences back by randomly clicking around the correct area; an error [Score error 7] was generated, and on going back into the score editor, the missing bar line had re-appeared in the stave.
I don’t know what I had done, though because, I wasn’t able to reproduce it.

I suppose a solution might be to compress the whole bar range, empty, into a single line and apply the operation, then reset number of bars.

I think I’ll stick with using the hand tool the move notes and lyrics.

Trevor

Hello Vic_France.

It’s like glycerine, it’s working now. I am doing exactly the same thing, as far as I can see.
The only difference the last time might have been absence of text, I can’t remember.
So it’s a belated thanks.

The following is just a bit of chat and may be ignored.
I had had trouble with fermatas or (fermatae) not wanting to move horizontally, turning upside down etc.
I finally found a solution in Symbols → Other → Other Symbol.
My musical director wanted proper tempo markings in some string scores, e.g. Allegro [ {crotchet} = 88 ]
In the end I used a conglomeration, with Arial text and an Opus font character for the crotchet.
Great fun.

Did you try using the Hand tool?